Changing UK plugs to French plugs

Hope there's no fire or whatever at the property, the insurance company won't be interested cos' it's not legal...

Why?

......"still recall the smell of burning flesh"....

Yep we had some riotous times in Bangkok !

Like many things I bet the technology exists John but maybe it wouldn't be politically or financially advantageous to introduce a more efficient & compact battery for the moment ?

Not that i'm cynical or anything...

I recall the bridge computer packing up completely on one ship, all my replacement boards proved useless so we had to fly out a technician from Norway (the computer was made in Norway) to Hong Kong to fix it ! He didn't even have the spare part so we had to get it flown to our next port of call which was in Taiwan where the new part was duly fitted !

To right Peter contol panels the size of sideboards in the 70s dozens of contactors which we used to weigh in for scrap now the size of a lap top batteries havent really progressed as fast thoughstill get a very nasty burn from 72v 400amp still recall the smell of burning flesh

I am afraid I have wired in a few English 13a sockets!

We are with Orange France Telecom and we are awaiting the SMS or email! (difficult when you're not connected) to say that we are connected. This was meant to be 10 days after ordering which we are now well past but trying to call them (always too busy call later) is proving difficult and very expensive on the mobile. Hey ho! We always knew there would be initial snags :-)

I ended up in the MN with my qualifications - great fun and an entertaining way to earn some dosh too !

Bridge computers were new and a normal computer of the time which washe size of a chest freezer was only capable of giving the ships position via the satellites Repairs were fun too !

I did the same Peter but in Mechanical engineering went on to do my HND but then got conned into moving to mainly DC electronics dealing with traction control, battery powered electric vehicles.AC motors are increasingly being used in that field now

When i first saw French wiring i thought what a nightmare but quickly realised how easy it was to isolate a room and work while the rest of the house is largely unaffected

Sadly i'm just a number, not a name.....

Strong on the solidarity thing then Pete !

Great, do you take in waifs & strays ?

I think he looks a real poser personally..

Grow up man, there's no place for ageing hippies on here !

Shirley, for your tv, orangebox, etcā€¦ youā€™ll find they can all run from one socketā€¦ there are a variety of special multi socket surge arrsster adaptor boxes with many different sockets for tv cable in and out, telephone in and out, and all outlets protected from surges on the lineā€¦ some are even insured if you boxes get smoked while hooked up to themā€¦ all plugged into a single round socket. the load is not a problemā€¦ and the surge arrester is a god send in stormsā€¦

Good thank you, albeit I have now left my family behind and am working back in the UK. However, I am back two weeks tomorrow so that I'm home to assist the boys starting their first week in school. All things being equal, it's gone pretty smoothly although whilst we have received our livebox and tv stuff we are still not connected to broadband which is a shame in terms of being able to Skype and chat to Cara and the boys. Hopefully, that'll be rectified soon.

From an electrical perspective, I am happier we've sorted the plugs as some wires were just hanging out of the walls with a bit of red tape on the end which was somewhat alarming. It appears you are enjoying it too?

Good man ! If I was closer I'd come & help you but I ain't so you're making the right decision. I'd hate to think that any advice I gave contributed to your demise. ;-)

Quite right Mark "difference in convention, application and enforcement" maybe but never in common sense. If you don't know what you're doing leave it alone for heavens sake. Life's too short to save a few bob on a dodgy electrical job !

I'm incognito as a futile protest against the 'Black Squares' Sad I know but it's the only protest ,save making myself one ,or resigning I can think of :-)

used that one too but the alu paper always seemed better :-O

Yeah, I've been out of touch for so long I forgot that one. Used to be the foil backing out of a fag packet wrapping when I was in Blighty :-)

Just one of my many 'hidden' talents...

By the way, why do you wear sunglasses INDOORS ?