Changing UK plugs to French plugs

No one mentioned the cheaper electricity after 10.30pm or has everyone done it

Just follow what Vic says - it's all true !

Probably the first time he hasn't come out with mindless drivel.....

I wondered when the old Alternating current thing would crop up & muddy the waters. :-)

Tony I couldn't say for sure as that's a stock photo. Some that we had were already bridged and the funny part is they reversed the pins from one socket to another, just to contradict what others had said re + & - which isn't technically true on an AC circuit. The "grid" system allows you to combine what ever you want next to each other, known as "Mosaic" by Le Grand so you can have a socket next to a switch etc and even USB charging points.

French plugs do not have fuses -the fuses are in the fuse box! much more practical than the ugly cumbersome English plugs- good luck!

Legrand do them Simon and this is where I get my electrical stuff, often much cheaper.

:-D

Legrand - the reference in electrical fittings here in France ;-)

they dont do double sockets as such in france ...just 2 sockets in the same moulding that you have to wire up yourself

We moved in 3 weeks ago and after a few days of trying to deal with just 3 UK adapters :-) paid a visit to BricoMarche and have now changed all our appliances, lamps etc to French sockets. A happy Trotty!

Sounds like you're getting the hang of it :-)

Save the postage and buy one in a brico for five or six Euros.

On E-bay from £2.99, its a cheap way to check!

CLICK HERE

Good point!

Great in theory but how many people actually know if the socket polarity is correct. My experience shows it's about 50/50.

That's right, if people look closely they will see a + or - on all but the very cheapest two pole plugs. There is a reason.

Don't really agree with that Simon, it might not matter on many items but reverse polarity on some items DOES matter. It can in instances cause circuit damage.

not a bad guess at all, Vic, especially when the regs are constantly changing! ;-)

I agree too. People so often jump away saying 'It's hot' and wonder why.

As for the question, well forget the cheapest supermarket plugs that rattle and screws fall out. Buy boxes of the decent ones with earth connections and do as Vic recommends. The little flat ones are good for little desks lamps and the like that stay plugged in, for more serious use (for instance, vacuum cleaners, tools and things that are moved from one place to another) forget them. The flat ones fall apart so quickly it is as expensive as buying a sturdy one to begin with.

For washing machines and the like we have the rubberised ones that grip the cable well. Vibrations do not affect them as they do others. They cost more but then the reasons are clear when you use them.