Cheese Please

gouda from where Steve?

comte - yes we eat regularly - always wondered why some stall holders tell us it's comte (with an accent) ? and have it make as such...

we can get beautiful Red Leicester here - which all the fromageries have, beautiful, artisan, aged. they think it's a triumph - not often you here praise for for english food...

my doctor told me to watch my cheese intake - until i saw her in the cheese shop with a MASSIVE tray of cheese!!! my cholesterol is fine though thanks for the heads up

When we first arrived in France we tried to find an equivalent to Cheddar. A cheese that melts in cooking but is firm and flavoursome at room temperature is hard to find. Gruyere, Emmental and Beaufort were well flavoured but only from Switzerland as the French ones are much milder. In the end a French person recommended 12/18 month Comte and Cantal.

Our all time favourites are Cheddar and Stilton, Cambozola (a creamy blue from Germany)Manchego (Spanish sheep’s cheese) and extra mature Gouda.(Holland). You are spoilt for choice when it comes to goat’s cheese in France.

You must also be aware that for every 100 grams of hard cheese, you are consuming about 90 mg cholesterol and this could aggravate health issues. We have firsthand experience of this. My partner was told by her GP to eat more calcium rich products and her cholesterol level went through the roof.

what a great idea, try a different cheese every day or so

I like our local goats cheese but my absolute favourite, after cheddar of course, is old farmhouse Gouda.