Chicken chat!

Fab set up, we don’t have the netting!

Was thrilled this evening as we chicken TV watch and they both came out :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

:sunglasses: one thing I would say Tory, I would have chicken wire up as a wiesel or stoat would easily be able to get through the welded grid fencing you have, just a thought.

3 Likes

It is their day run I’m not to bothered in the day as the dog next door is usually out and we’ve never had a problem, touch wood!!!

Also they can get through normal chicken wire too. Apparently anything bigger than a wedding ring!

That could make for a rather expensive chicken run :thinking: :smiley:

1 Like

My pen is 20 year old wire netting salvaged from a previous now long gone hen run, tiny birds can get through it so I have no doubt weasels etc can too but I’m hoping none are around. I used some new, some recycled posts - and bought the green netting for the top at gamm vert, raptors are definitely the biggest threat here (apart from people and the killer German shepherd bitch a couple of km away).

1 Like

I have watched one trying to get into ours for 2 hours and failing miserably and we have had our coup up for 5 years without any problems, ours get shut in the main pen at night but not into the coups, the time we lost 3 to a fox and cubs was in the main paddock.

3 Likes

I shut the house up at night, it has an integral floor which reassures me.

3 Likes

We lost ours to buzzards when they were free range in the orchard.

1 Like

Millie and Mabel both out and happily scratching around in the grass clippings making us compost :heart_eyes: bless them they’ve worked out how to be chickens!

7 Likes

I have no idea why I came to be following this thread but I’m enjoying it immensely. Thanks to all who are contributing.

1 Like

Hens are very happy making :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

It’s that time of the year again, wing feather clipping time :feather::feather::feather:

1 Like

I don’t clip them, they are so sweet when they fly (to get eg mealworms).

As a followup to my earlier comment, I’m in the UK at the moment and went out for a curry. I just had to have the Tandoori Chicken Chaat. Thing is, they spell it Chat. It made me smile :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

They fly over the fence into the potager and proceed to wreck it by digging everything up, if I don’t clip their wings my wife would quickly turn them into Sunday roast if that happens again :laughing:

1 Like

There’s a restaurant in Brick Lane in London that offers Brinjal Bhaji which it describes as ‘succulent and spicy fried aborigines’.

3 Likes

IMG_2861

Nutguts :scream: don’t sound very appetising.
I saw sausage and (French) beans in Spain on the menu, salchichas con judías as you might expect but translated into German they had put Wurst mit Juden. :scream:

1 Like

Looks like they were thinking “nuggets” à le MacDo
:grin: