Chimney fires - beware

This is really scary. We have a wood burner and an open fire in our second home in France - any tips on how to find a reliable chimney sweep in Mezin/Montreal region?

My neighbour had the same problem and the fireman told me that the best thing to do whilst waiting for them to arrive is to chuck an unopened sachet of bleach (Eau de Javel ) in and close the door. Apparently it suffocates the oxygen. You can buy the sachets in any supermarket.

We have had wood fires - in three different houses and regions, open and closed types, for fourteen years without any problems, BUT were made very aware from the start that the ANNUAL Ramonage was not an option but a requirement, and a house insurance was legally null and void for fire damage if a Receipt from a recognised Ramoneur was not available.

As I understand it most fires oddly, or logically, start in the soot and oil deposits IN the chimney, and spread from there. The ramonage keeps the channel clean. One point to NOT use any of the cowboys who roll up outside your door offering to do the job cheaply. Use a local service, preferably someone who knows the house as older houses often have two flues leading to the same stack, which means two cleaning jobs not one.

Realise it is a bit late for you Frances, but it is a salutory lesson all round.

Thanks Dominique!

Hi, Frances,

As loss assessor, fires and chimney fires are the most disastrous hazard you can endure (except physical damages)

To prevent such hazards, I would add to your list,

- never leave an electrical device on without overseeing (including diswashers, washing machines, tumble dryer, even if you have power supply at a best rate at night)

- take good care to check that the candles are off when going to bed after a romantic dinner

- get rid of the old halogen lamps (good only to put curtains on fire.)

- never let unattended a device with an open flame

keep a copy of your invoices, preferably outside the house

pictures of your home are good for damage estimation of furniture but definitely not enough for jewels , (its a proof of existence, not a proof of value nor quality)

always pay your chemney sweeps by bank check (leaves traces if you loose the receipt or the invoice) And BTW never use the sweeping burning logs sometimes sold to "sweep" chimneys

...and if you undergo a premises fire, try to find a good loss assessor (sometimes partially paid by your insurance) not leaving you alone in front of the Insurances loss adjusters and inspectors. Speaking about loss assessors, never contract with their sales people magically appearing while the fire is still glowing: they did not appeared using legal ways.

best regards

Dominic Perot

loss assessor

Ab Fab - made me laugh - Elf and Safety on Christmas Eve - perfect. Funny, funny story with a good ending. Merci!!

ps - pics please, please!!!

Love it!

If the flue is properly lined then the source of air should only be from the wood stove. Covering the stove restricts the air supply to stove and thence the chimney. Wouldn't work with an insert though.

I think a fire blanket is useful for an open fire/flames but not when the chimney itself is on fire as you cannot get to it, unfortunately. However, we did have a large fire extinguisher at the ready (bought only last year) to deal with flames (up to a point) if they had spread.

No John - all different sweeps. The pompiers said there have been more this year because of the weather conditions, the fires not burning hot enough and thus tar forming more quickly in the chimney.

That is a lot of chimney fires and all local, are you all using the same sweep I wonder?

If you were to buy a fire blanket which would envelop the stove you might well be able to slow a chimney fire down sufficiently to give you a greater margin for the pompiers to arrive.