Choosing a loo to buy

I had to replace one where the customer was 22 stone +

The titfield thunderbolt was a 1953 movie

1 Like

About a train

1 Like

Welcome to Survive France @Peterplace !

You are of course right, but I think Shiba’s mum’s use of the name was a bit of euphemistic comedy :smiley:

In my experience, the flush mechanisms these days are all flimsy plastic rubbish with poor tolerances - give me the ballcock and steel stick valve any day !

Thats the fill valve not the flush, but yes a lot of them like cheap Wirqin are nasty.
Siamp make better ones and the are from Monaco so bound to be quality.

1 Like

Yes she did. At least I know now what she meant by it.

Oh, well noted. I have a few that need to be replaced as they’ve scaled up and don’t seal well. It’s either that or buy gallons of vinegar.

I changed ours to Siamp but they still scale up so I keep a spare in reserve and give the old one a vinegar bath for use the next time.

The last one I changed was a Siamp, in my mother’s flat. They scale up just like anything else immersed in hard water.

Cant stop the scale issue on the flush valves other than regular cleaning but their fill valves are near silent if you have an upstairs loo you use during the night

1 Like

Thanks for the tip about Siamp - I’ve tried various brands and no name products over the years here, and I can honestly say that the quality has dropped overall - I also know why, as I previously had a client that was a sub-manufacturer for these very products - material cost reduction whilst maintaining or increasing margins. These products are considered to be disposable, and therefore the production mindset is that they should cost as little to make as possible with the minimum functional duration that they have to cover through the warranty.

On some wirqin and similar cheap ones I have had to put a couple of turns of 2.5mm electrical cable just to weigh down the flush part to prevent leaks.

1 Like