Classic French films

I must admit that I have a few problems with the IMDb list, some I would argue are not great films at all (Wizard of Oz, Braveheart, Jurassic Park) but many are mis-ranked and there are (IMO obviously) several ommisions

No mention of Bladerunner for instance, nor the Matrix, nor Metropolis, nor Grand Budapest, Resevoir dogs, Amelie, Léon, Toy Story, The Italian Job, The Terminator, Blue Velvet, L.A. Confidential, Trainspotting, Three Colours trilogy, A Matter of Life and Death, The Shining, Heat, Alien or The Dark Knight all of which (and probably others I can’t recall just at the moment) would be in my list.

IMDb, I think, suffers from over rating of flashy modern blockbusters (though none seem to have snuck in here) and positive feedback bias.

1 Like

I agree Billy, many of these lists are subjective as are individual taste of what people like. Some of the films you mention are listed in my links but l am currently working on my favourite 25 films and will link it when finished. It would be very interesting to see what others choose.

1 Like

@billybutcher those would all be on my list too! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

And "the life of Brian "

My problem with this sort of thing is that I can get a list fairly easily - actually sorting it is rather more challenging - and, to a certain extent, not something that interests me.

Apart from a few mentioned this is one of my favorites Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence merry christmas mr lawrence - Google Suche merry christmas mr lawrence - Google Suche
merry christmas mr lawrence - Google Suche

1 Like

I went to Cannes the year of MCML on behalf of the radio station I worked for as a student and got the official The Oshima Gang T-shirt from one of Nagisa Oshima’s minions :heart::heart::heart: fabulous film visually and musically. It is called Furyo in French but you probably know that.

L’homme du train. Don’t know if it’s a “classic” but it’s a great film.