Cleaning, laundry & Toiletry Products Fosse septic

Well, as for fosse friendly bleach… we have used it recently as medically directed - but only a limited amount after doses of BCG to prevent cross infection. That’s now finished but the fosse seems none the worse for it - although I wouldn’t recommend its prolonged use or in any large quantity…

1 Like

Agreed, but when a fosse has not been used or when it has been emptied or when there are only two people living in the house and the fosse is big enough for six it’s useful to give it masses of encouragement. This is what I put down at the beginning of the season for our gite when it’s not been used over winter. I do it twice March / April beginning of the month and it lasts the whole season.

It’s not cheap, but well worth it.

Years ago, someone said to me best thing for a fosse is a dead cat. That sounds gruesome but if our mongrel brings us a dead rat that goes in - not down the toilet of course but straight into the top of the first side of the tank.

It’s important not to panic with a fosse - it can be smelly for a bit but if the system is old there’s every chance it will settle down quickly.

1 Like

maybe that was it… cat rather than rat but preferably not the ex wife as was discovered at a farm recently in UK, 25 years after the dear lady went missing and the new owner wanted to build an extension (or something). Gruesome…

What I use for cleaning loos is a tablespoon of bicarb, sprinkled round after flushing (so the bowl is damp) followed by a tablespoon of citric acid, leave for 20 mins or so and then brush round with the loo brush and flush. Works better than bleach in my experience, even on established stains. What with bicarb, citric acid and vinegar, I rarely need to use proprietary products these days…

Added: Better for the fosse too

5 Likes

Thank heavens you’re back AngelaR! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fish innards from the fish counter at the supermarket works .

2 Likes

That’s a good idea! we tend to gut fish ourselves so that would be something to do with them :smiley:

Our fosse man told us years ago it is better for the fosse to use liquid detergent in the dishwasher rather than powder. Same with the washing machine. And only the loo paper that says it is OK for a fosse septique.

1 Like

would making it into soupe de poisson not be better and then both you and your fosse can benefit :laughing:

Do you really use fish guts for soupe de poisson, @graham? Should be…er…interesting! I know the Romans were fond of them but they certainly don’t appeal to me :rofl:

me niether

1 Like

Not really no. It was a blague… :grin:

1 Like

I have a subscription to Que Choisir and to Which and I have to say IMO on a product by product basis Which is better. Obviously for all things French QC is best but comparing ovens, washing machines, and even electric cars I prefer Which.