Climate/ecological breakdown

It feels as though no one is listening

Perhaps they will when they get thirsty.

https://turningthetide.watercommission.org/

1 Like

Electricity grid is easy by comparison with water shortage, reducing the water usage is as important as all the other energy saving measures.

This is 200% true.

It has long been said that future wars will be over water. I think that Canada needs a bigger army.
:pensive:

1 Like

I thought my winter was a wet one, but apparently not so in other parts of France!

The drought in parts of France is so bad right now that some authorities have banned new home-building projects—for the next four years. Despite a severe housing shortage in France, new homes just aren’t worth the drain on water resources that construction, and eventual new residents, would cause, say nine communes in the south of the country.

Seems not only water but the mass of humans are pushing all other species to extinction

In this light, maybe a shrinking human population will not be such a bad thing for the planet, albeit financially challenging for a few generations.

I wonder what AI will say.

Claude Lorius: Pioneering French climate change scientist dies aged 91

Should a barrister be entitled to put his beliefs above the principle of equal access to the law (as provided by the “cab rank” rule)?

If so, should that work for any belief?

I’d say that he needs to prosecute them to validate their sacrifice - it’s not like any of them are throwing themselves in front of the King’s race horse, is it?

3 Likes

It maybe Pool harbour but it could be almost anywhere. An industry that creates polution in everything it does.

The plan to make a giant hot water bottle underground

I wondered, a few years ago, whether a much smaller version of this, under my garden, may be able to store the massive surplus of solar energy I produce in the summer, releasing it in the winter via a heat pump. Then I remembered that we have granite bedrock about 1.5m down. That’s actually great for the GSHP we have, but not for something like this.

When I was clearing the main well of roots the other day, you really noticed the difference in temperature between the entrance and the bottom, if your down there for more than 10 min you start sweating.

Only if you are a horse
:racehorse:

I presume you glow? Just asking for a friend. :wink:

1 Like

Its being done in several places heating shale. I was considering cutting out the ground floor suspended floor in favour of an insulated heated shale heat battery for similar.

Another really clever idea is a manifold used for pre heating/cooling air prior to the heat recovery ventilation system.

Only very gently
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

I post this link because it attracted me with its green credentials, its 3D’ish website graphics and its ‘interactive’ nature.

It’s about new materials, and in this particular instance, creating a new material from fungus called mycelium, known as MYLO, that can take the place of leather.

Scroll down to MEET MYLO and click on EXPLORE MATERIAL, if interested, and scroll some more.

MYLO has other uses as well.

Being a pedant for a minute, thats millions of years old, the new bit is making other stuff from it :blush:

1 Like

Mycelium

Someone else’s

I’ll get my coat

1 Like