Climate/ecological breakdown

Wonder if you’re interested in this Corona:
https://scientistrebellion.com/how-to-join/
The English-language induction meeting is always on Mondays at 7 pm CEST on Zoom - other languages on other days, but oddly NO FRENCH!

I will look in.

Interesting aspect to UK local election results yesterday - looks like there will again be record gains for the Green Party, after 88 gains last time.

Also interesting that most seem to be from Labour. Predictably, by moving towards a less radical position on climate/ecological breakdown, Labour loses votes on its left flank (it has gained them on its right, of course - but is that only because the Tories are so awful now?).

The Independent: Earth’s CO2 hits highest recorded level in human history.

I regularly monitor CO2 levels and outdoors its usually around 426ppm

Now this is cool!
It really is.
Greek Reporter: Revolutionary White Paint Could Cool Greek Island Buildings Better than AC.

3 Likes

@graham and @james have been tidying up the thread categories, and especially slimming down the bloated ‘general’ category, which has resulted in the movement of this thread from General to Ecology.

This is interesting because I was initially unsure which category it ought to be in myself. I don’t think ‘ecology’ is descriptive - too closely associated with the natural world, when business and economics and politics are so central to climate/ecological breakdown. But then the problem is that the environmental crisis does touch almost every aspect of our - and indeed other species’ lives: what we eat, what we breathe, how we heat our homes, how we travel, how we do business, what political action we need to take…

And there’s a further consideration: putting climate/ecological breakdown into a box marked ‘weather’, or the harmless-sounding ‘global warming’ - or indeed ‘ecology’ - has often been precisely a way of minimising, even disguising it’s real scale and importance.

I know this might not help with the practicalities of rationalising SurviveFrance’s threads and categories - but maybe this one really is ‘General’! Thoughts?

1 Like

@Geof_Cox I wonder if your useful post about the Ecology Category would be better placed in the “About the Ecology category” topic…

If you think so, I can arrange for it to be moved accordingly, to save you retyping it…

Some interesting ideas for individual actions here…

I don’t agree with all of them - nor indeed with the idea of a single priority. For me, indeed, the priority is to combine individual and community actions with political action.

I’m a great believer in personal responsibility so have no problem in taking on board lots of ideas to reduce my carbon footprint but as a realist I know that the most environmentally damaging part of my life is one that I will not/can not alter, and that is flying. So until it is banned I will continue to get on a plane knowing full well I am polluting the planet, having a life ultimately trumps destroying future life.

1 Like

Looks like we need to start banning casual flying then. :stuck_out_tongue:

I won’t, I’ll be taking the train unless there is no alternative, in which case I’ll have a hard think about whether I really need to make that particular journey.

4 Likes

and casual boating too :thinking:

2 Likes

Yes, and many activities. One of the factors that swayed us to France was that it was much closer to the UK than Greece, therefore hopefully reducing our carbon footprint. I wonder how many of our ‘normal’ activities our offspring will come to rue in the future.

1 Like

You’d need to define ‘casual flying’.

I don’t think it’s a question of ‘banning’ flying. The answer is already worked out: the frequent flier levy. Everybody is allowed a couple of flights a year without paying it, but then it rises progressively - the more flights you take, the more their cost goes up. Exact levels can be adjusted according to results. It’s still your decision whether you fly or not - but obviously most people will cut back.

@vero - my daughter bought me the Lonely Planet Voyages zéro carbone en France for Xmas - there’s one for Europe too - so that’s me set for a few years!

1 Like

I’m sure others would be happy to do that for us.

As an ex aviator, sport flying provides a useful route into the commercial world of flying and I can’t in all honesty see that flying will be banned in it’s entirety.
The aviation industry, both commercial and sport, are making headway by reducing carbon emissions with the introduction of electric engines amongst other things.
It is pure folly to expect that flying in its entirety will be banned but freedom of choice must prevail in a civilised society, surely.

It would be daft to ban flying when greener alternatives inc planes will get be developed as we progress but a levy as suggested is a good idea.

2 Likes

TBH I’d hope that there wouldn’t really be a need to ban anyone from doing anything, but that people would spontaneously choose to exercise their freedom to fly less and reduce other CO2 generating activities. But you know how people are, and if something is not specifically forbidden then some will se it as fully permissable and to be encouraged.