Climate/ecological breakdown

Aren’t you confirming my point that it’s a much smaller issue?

If you are arguing that the contribution to heating is so small that it’s better than alternatives like passive design - that can cut energy use permanently, along with the need for larger high-maintenance power systems - then I don’t agree.

Technically yes, but I’m more making the point that it is so small it is a non issue.

IF all electricity generation everywhere were solar, wind or (maybe) nuclear then I would say it doesn’t make a difference. Except that, perhaps, building accommodation which is “naturally” cool might be better to live in than one which isn’t but is artificially cooled by sucking heat out with an A/C.

In the real world, of course, electricity generation is still tied to greenhouse gas emissions so yes, avoiding A/C is better.

But maintaining all that A/C also keeps people in jobs - human activity rarely confines itself to one sector of influence.

Interesting opinion here

https://app.independent.co.uk/2022/11/06/greta-is-right-cop27-lacks-moral-leadership-3/content.html

The conversation is shifting from preventing to surviving climate change - maps like this one

are cropping up, reassuringly green for the Northern Hemisphere - the only one which counts, right?1

To be honest I think the proponents of such thinking are half right - we are well past the point that politically acceptable change will halt global warming, where I think they are completely wrong is thinking that there is any “living with climate change” on the scale that we are about to see. Billions will die, billions more will try to migrate and the crop failures won’t just be in Africa.

1] For the avoidance of doubt this is sarcasm.

3 Likes

And … they’re back (again)

My wacky conspiracy theory (that they’re being funded by Big Oil) looks no more reliable, of course, but the question remains: What on Earth is the point of these protests? 74% of the UK is convinced, and closing roads is not going to persuade the other 24%.

I am reluctant to make a diagnosis from a video, but that girl doesn’t look as if she’s all there. Are the ones who risk their own (and emergency service workers’) lives driven by some sort of mental health problem, at least - as with Greta T - OCD?

By the look of the map Australia will disappear entirely :see_no_evil:

1 Like

It’s just round the corner where you can’t see it :rofl:

1 Like

You’re fiddling while the Earth burns Porridge, and also while the UK turns into a police state - on which, this is really worrying - looks like the police are deliberately trying to stop not only the protests, but reporting of them:

1 Like

Very worrying indeed :fearful:

1 Like

I stumbled upon this YouTube video earlier of Greta Thunberg as you’ve probably never seen her before… She really is a remarkable young woman.

4 Likes

Wow

6 Likes

Common sense really.

2 Likes

Indeed.

1 Like

The company I work for are negotiating to install them along the verges of motorways and train line across Europe

6 Likes

Some of the larger supermarkets down here already do this. It really is a no brainer as many of them provide shade. Carcassonne airport has over 16,000 solar panels on it’s south facing car parks and I assume the new development going on will add many more.

3 Likes

I’m 50/50 about that - they are often viewed as “dead space” but can act as a useful undisturbed area for wild flowers/wildlife. Covering them with shade might reduce their utility in that regard.

2 Likes

I think I’m more on the side of Indigo Rumbelow than Sky’s Mark Austin. Protest for something important - think the suffragettes - matters IMO. We are talking about our survival on this planet.

More of the same, unfortunately. They all seem to have adopted the “Well, what would you do?” tactic against the interviewer, which suggests that know they can’t justify their behaviour and rather reinforces the impression that they’re little different to toddlers throwing a tantrum.

Everyone understands the problem, but these people are frankly alienating the people they need support from.