Climate/ecological breakdown

I post this link because it attracted me with its green credentials, its 3D’ish website graphics and its ‘interactive’ nature.

It’s about new materials, and in this particular instance, creating a new material from fungus called mycelium, known as MYLO, that can take the place of leather.

Scroll down to MEET MYLO and click on EXPLORE MATERIAL, if interested, and scroll some more.

MYLO has other uses as well.

Being a pedant for a minute, thats millions of years old, the new bit is making other stuff from it :blush:

1 Like

Mycelium

Someone else’s

I’ll get my coat

1 Like

Droll…!

What else is out there, on planet Earth, waiting…? We are still learning.

1 Like

Its facinating isnt it

4 Likes

Not sure if this is the right thread, however…

I think maybe all western governments, and others, need a kick up the bum through court action regarding climate change, and in particular, excessive HEAT – as here in Switzerland.

Will be interesting to see the outcome.

2 Likes

There was an article in the Guardian this morning saying it is looking like 1.5c will be hit in 2027 :sob:

I’m sceptical about man’s ability to get us to a good place where climate control is concerned.

(I can only go by my conception of what a woman looks like in picking out the women in the photo.)

Charity ‘ActionAid’ report reveals that in many developing nations - which are facing the worst impacts of climate change - women have greater responsibility for securing water, food and fuel for their families, which can be more difficult during floods, drought or other climate-related crises.

The majority of agricultural workers are also women, so when there is severe drought, as seen currently in East Africa, their income can be drastically cut.

1 Like

Intermittent fasting is mentioned somewhere in this thread and it’s something I’ve been doing for several weeks now. Having my mind occupied on something really absorbing, and my mind’s been diverted elsewhere all day today, seems to help me forget about eating.

I write this now, at gone 9 pm, just realising that all I’ve had today is two mugs of tea with almond milk, and I don’t feel hungry at all. And I feel fine. It works. The calories I’ve been using today must have come from body fat.

But am looking forward to Ninja cooking me something tasty to eat soon.

2 Likes

Solar panels - an eco-disaster waiting to happen?

Only if we sit on our backsides and do nothing. That was a positive look at ramping up recycling to meet a need, thats what should naturally be the course of action. We have huge fields of old fridges sitting there rotting away. We hide spent nuclear fuel deep in caves hoping it will just go away.
The need to recycle stuff hopefully feeds back into design to make it easier going forward, the circular economy is where design is heading.

1 Like

Intermittent fasting.

I had nothing yesterday except 4 mugs of tea and a few dried apricots in the evening, not because I was hungry, but was worried about going to bed on an empty stomach.

Slept well and got up half an hour earlier this morning than I normally do, and am feeling fine, and my weight dropped one kilo over those 24 hours of not eating. I feel completely at ease with no desire to eat.

I’m assuming that intermittent fasting is working. I think all I need do is to make sure that one meal in the evening, which I shall have, supplies all the essential nutrients. Suits me! It relieves me of decision making on what to buy at the supermarket every day. I only have to think about one meal and Ninja will do the rest. And I can conceive that meal not to include meat or fish.

My BP is lower as well, but that may be due to other reasons, like warmer weather.

2 Likes

Well done! Although I may question your choice of dried apricots as they like all other dried fruit concentrate the sugars within but so long as you are aware. I did a 3 day fast which I could never have believed possible with just tea or coffee (black) as a replacement should I feel hungry which was more habit and internal clock than anything else. Eating within a time restricted window seems to work well so often OMAD, one meal a day, two if doing physical work like building construction. Even then minimum of 18 hours from last meal to next, easy overnight.

Can you make potato crisps in the Ninja?

Haven’t tried crisps yet but it does frozen chips very well - eight minutes for a bowlful of McCain chips at 200°C - fine & croustillante. Though I want to keep those back as an occasional treat. Shall try real potato chips & crips soon.

1 Like

My small oven 1400w takes 15-20mins to get to tempetature. Even the pretty crap microwave convection takes 15 mins to get to temp so a good win there for the Ninja.

As far as I’m aware the Ninja model I have needs no pre-heating. It really is a quick cooker.

1 Like

Can’t fault his logic really.

As it’s getting really quite hot I looked for but couldn’t find my thermometer. Bought a new one at the pharmacy. Better safe than sorry. …