Cloud data storage

Slightly off topic Nick but can you remind me which mobile phone you have? Samsung something? My iPhone 3gs is getting a bit long in the tooth

Thanks

James

Thanks Nick

I use Dropbox - but only the free service, as I don't need to store that amount of data in the cloud. If you wanted 500GB it will cost you $499 per year. Any more storage, and then you have to go to the business package @ $799 per year. It works well, is easy to use and integrates easily with your OS, but it's expensive.

The other option is to use a service from Amazon , called S3. Now this is a bare service, and I write my own applications to use the storage, but I'm sure their will be OSX utilities that will enable you to use it.

The costs are reduced if you use the Glacial storage service - but this is definitely a backup and archival service as they only gaurantee 3.5-4.5 retrieval times. Faster access cost considerably more.

If you sign up you get a lot of the services for free to start, but you need to be careful about moving stuff into and out of the storage too often, as you can get caught by network usage charges. They are not enormous, but you need to be aware. You get a monthly bill, so you will know exactly how much you need to pay.

Here is a link to the costs : Amazon S3 pricing

Here is an OSX util to use the service: Amazon S3 OSX utility - there may well be others. Not sure if this supports glacial mode, but to be cost effective - you would need one that does.

Thanks both, having a look now.

James, As a very, very, old IT guy, who still thinks that databases are a new-fangled gimmick, this isn't an area for which I can pass on any personal experience. There is, however, a site with some good tips and their page on the difference between Cloud storage & online backup is very helpful, as are the other supplier comparisons on the site. Whether or not the reviews are genuine & the site independent you'll have to judge for yourself, though it looks OK.

James, the two services that I use are Dropbox and Google Drive. Both have larger storage options however it really depends upon your definition of reasonable pricing.

Dropbox are offering me 500gb for $499 a year

Drive are offering 400gb for $19.99 a month