Cloudy swimming pool - anything I can do to help OH?

I bought these: https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00HWWERIA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Two in the container thingee and within a day, clear as :slight_smile:

Cheers - Steve

1 Like

Run 24 hours a day. Galetts are too slow disolving but better than nothing. Still recommend eau de javel from a brico shed. Dont add anymore flocculent as it will gunk up the filter. Put the chlorinator on 100% if you cant get the eau de javel.

If there is any hint of green the the algae is alive. Shock the pool with eau de javel about 4lts but this will kill the algae, turn the pool cloudy blue grey so you may judge that as better to wait until guests have gone.

1 Like

Yes it is. Thanks for the advice. They are going Friday and the weather looks as if it’s going to remain cool. So hopefully we can limp along until they are gone.
If I get the eau de javel first thing tomorrow can I at least put some in the pool to start the process?
What about back washing? Will that help?
Really grateful for this. OH totally occupied in UK so it’s great to have advice here without bothering him - he has enough on his plate.
Also, guests know that I’m only the assistant pool boy and the the proper pool boy has had to go to UK in a crisis, so I think are being kind to me. :slight_smile:

Yes you can begin Sue, suggest you add the javel at the end of the days pool use. That way it will not get burned up by the sun and will work over night for you.

Great, thanks.

Thanks Corona. I found a chlore choc tub in the pool house last night and there was a bit left in the bottom so I used all that and left the pump running. Pleased to say that today the pool is no longer going green but is a blue grey colour - still very murky though and in suspension.

What is my next step please? I’m off out to get the eau de javel. Do I still need to put some in the pool tonight? Or was last night’s chlore choc enough?

I would add some tonight as planned, you need to keep the chlorine higher to ensure the algae is dead and oxidised. Then its the job of the filter to remove it.

1 Like

Thanks @Corona Really appreciate your continued input when I know this is ground you’ve gone over so many times. I’ve just never needed to pay attention before. :roll_eyes:

Should I backwash tomorrow morning?

Only if the pressure gauge is showing a reasonable increase. What does it read after a backwash when clean vs now?

Heavens! This is getting technical! I don’t even know where the pressure gauge is. I thought all I had to do was look at the colour of the water coming out and usually it’s dirty to begin with and then goes clear. At which point I stop the backwashing.
Are there training courses for people who own swimming pools? I feel I need one. :thinking:

I used to do them for my clients.
The gauge is often on the multiport valve or top of the filter.

1 Like

Well this is a voyage of discovery! I’ve found it. It’s next to the multiport valve (new term). It’s barely legible but says 0 - is that good news? :thinking:

No its broken :relaxed: that generally hapens after a couple of years. Cheap to replace or I still have a few left over for the cost of postage.

Thanks Corona and for the offer to send - OH back Thursday. We’ll sort something out. What should it read?

Anything other than 0 haha, could be 10psi 0.75 bar that sort of thing but can be 1 bar 14psi.

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry about it too much, mine “broke” many years ago. Its normally used as an indicator as to when to backwash (increased pressure in the filter) but as long as everything is working and you backwash regularly it will be fine.

I’ve got a small pool, 7x3, but one can swim fine in it. I have no salt, I find it a waste of time. The delightful man who fixed the “pomp à chaleur” total extravagance but heaven, warned against using too much floculent, it jams up the sand and you have to relace it sooner. If you bung in a deal of chlorine shock and keep the water circulating day and night it should clear fairly soon, but don’t swim in it! I keep the water circulating lightly during the winter, and in 19 years have only had trouble twice. I don’t bother much with ph testing, all is clear as a bell and you can barely sense the multi purpose chlorine tablet at all, in fact not at all. It’s the shock that does the trick.

So wasting a quantity of water randomly at what cost? Is better than relying on a low cost gauge to indicate when to backwash?

1 Like

All packaged products contain chlorine stabiliser, cyanuric acid (CYA) except calcium hypochlorite. CYA builds up in the water over time and reduces the chlorine santisers effectiveness. Shocking a pool is a process Not a product, any form of chlorine that raises the free chlorine level to break point is suitable but liquid disperses faster as it doesnt need to dissolve, is readily available cheaply at brico sheds (eau de javel). If you dont have a salt chlorinator you wouldnt need to add salt. Yes excess use of flocculent is bad, one pool I got called out to the operative poured in a whole litre! The recommended dose was 25ml so that was a whole day cleaning and changing the filter media. That company were sacked immediately and the owner received compensation towards the damage it caused. The insides were a sticky mess like a liquid chewing gum.

My €8 manometer has paid for itself several times over because 3 1/2 minutes backwash and 60 second rinse fills a 1 cubic metre cuvé with my insane pump (which will be replaced by a variable speed one when it dies).

Clean filter : 11-12 psi
Time for backwash : 18-19 psi

You can actually tell when the filter needs backwashing as the pool water loses its lustre slightly.

1 Like