COC Certificate of Conformity

Allo Allo

Does anyone know, Is it still the case that a COC is still required when re-registering a UK supplied vehicle here in France?

I seem to remember reading an article yonks ago that this would no longer be a requirement.

Murky buckets in advance.

And the cost varies across the country.

At the moment it is all in a state of flux! The government website says you do -

- un certificat de conformité à un type CE ,

- ou attestation d'identification à un type CE .

Ces documents sont délivrés par le constructeur lors de la 1ère vente du véhicule et doivent être accompagnés de la traduction d'un traducteur agréé s'ils sont en langue étrangère. Si vous ne les avez pas, vous devez les réclamer au constructeur ou à son représentant en France. Si ce constructeur n'existe plus, vous pouvez demander une attestation d'identification à la Dreal/Driee/Deal compétente. Contactez-la pour connaître les documents à fournir et prendre rendez-vous pour faire examiner votre véhicule.

Si le véhicule était auparavant immatriculé dans un pays de l'Union européenne et que son PTAC est inférieur ou égal à 3,5 tonnes, vous pouvez présenter à la place de ces documents votre certificat d'immatriculation à condition qu'il comporte toutes les informations nécessaires à son immatriculation.

Si un document est en langue étrangère, une traduction effectuée par un traducteur agréé devra l'accompagner.

But some prefectures (but not all) will accept the conformity number on a UK logbook which started to appear in 2001. It is the number under section K on the logbook. Angouleme will but I cannot confirm any others. You can now register your car at any prefecture in France, though.

As Véronique states the impôts is a formality the prefecure a different matter. Once again I am of the opinion it depends on whom you speak to on the day, and their mood! I registered a Volvo once and did not need a CoC as the thought was it must meet French standards, giving them every bit of paperwork I had relating to the vehicle seemed sufficient.

The vehicle in question has something called a


I've no idea what this is as I haven't actually taken delivery of the car yet, I'm hopeful that this is what's needed as part of the re-reg process.

I imported a car from Germany 10 days ago, I needed a COC for the préfecture, (the impôts didn't care). I imagine it is the same for all imports, even within the EU. I think that once it is imported & say you sell it again, that's when you don't need the COC. Worth checking though.

I know this is an old thread but as I have just been asked to supply a certificate of conformitie I thought it is time to revive it.
I thought that if the UK V5 had the VIN number on it, then the COC was no longer necessary, however I have just been aske to supply one in order to register my used car.
The government site states :

Si l’ancien certificat d’immatriculation étranger ne peut être fourni ou ne comporte pas toutes les informations techniques nécessaires à l’immatriculation, transmettez au format numérique le justificatif complémentaire correspondant à votre situation :

_ Certificat de conformité européen délivré par le constructeur, édité le cas échéant dans une autre langue que le français ;_
_ Attestation d’identification à un type communautaire ;_
_ Procès verbal de réception à titre isolé (RTI) établi par une DREAL (Direction Régionale de l’Environnement et l’Aménagement et du Logement)._

So I am guessing that in my case the V5 does not comporte toutes les informations techniques !
Anyone else had this problem?

Geoff, I had already obtained the relevant CoCs, in French before leaving the UK, so cannot speak authoritatavely.
As someone pointed out back in '15, a V5C does carry the CoC number in field “K”. You could try responding that the original CoC is not required, the information is already there. Assuming you have a relatively modern vehicle.
I do not know how successful that will be though, there may be something specific that is needed from it, like “type mine” or “chevaux fiscal”.
Getting the CoC was quite straightforward, manufacturers are required by law to issue a duplicate on request, for at least 10 years after issuing. The law only allows them to charge a “reasonable” admin fee. The amount varied tremendously for us. For the 7 CoCs that we requested the charges varied from free (Toyota) to £160 (BMW Motorrad). Interestingly, the more expensive ones took the longest - 5 months!

For the time being, is it therefore best to get a CoC before leaving UK?

It is easiest to kick the process of as soon as possible. It does not matter if you are in the UK or France when it is issued. If you are moving out of the UK address stated on the V%, get the blal rolling as soon as you can. I had to provide a copy of the V5 as a proof of ownership/registration for each one that I requested. I did get a Fench versionmailed to me in Franc by Toyota, they grumbled a lot but did it…
Also, if you bought the vehicle new, look out the purchase invoice, if second hand a hand written receiptBill 0f Sale. You will need that at your local(ish) tax office to get a Quitus Fiscal. The QF verfies that in the eyes of the French tax regime no VAT is due on the vehicle. The new vehicle invoice should VAT has been paid in the UK, a hand written bill of sale shows that a private sale occurred for which VAT is not applicable. You will need proof of ID, proof of address in France (a new, 3 day old, Orange internet contract was good enough), the V5 and invoice. The Quitus Fiscal is required for the registration here, without it you will likely get a hit for VAT.

I will be buying the car second hand this weekend in UK for about £3k - so make sure and get a receipt from the motor trader then. thanks for this.

@Patron, double-check the V5 before parting with any cash, make sure that V5 has got values in field K.

Also, make sure that it was not imported from anotehr country, EU or otherwise. It might be much harder to get the CoC if it is. The official importer is unlikely to help and wil probably direct to the original country.

I am not syaing that it is not possible to register such a vehicle in France, just suggesting that getting hold of the CoC may be harder…

Having an e* number against section K on your logbook does not mean that you will not need a coc. This is a myth that brits have been repeating so much that many believe it!

Geoff has it right when he says that his V5c may not have all the information needed. Often it is obvious - the type & variant numbers, not usually used by DVLA, are often incomplete or totally wrong. I have written to ANTS to ask what exactly constitutes “all the information required” but never received an answer.

Sometimes I have submitted an application without a coc & on one or two occasions it has been accepted but as I am submitting quite a few the percentage is very small.
It is worth noting the phrase " Certificat de conformité européen délivré par le constructeur, édité le cas échéant dans une autre langue que le français" so you can shop around the various countries’ representatives to find which can supply one cheapest. For example Fiat UK (for all Fiat group cars including Jeep etc) the charge is £120. Fiat France charge 220 euros.

Do not be tempted to get a coc from a non approved source - they have to be provided by the manufacturer or his representative. There are companies offering to apply to the manufacturer for you but often the cost is greater.
Finally it is worth noting the years that cocs were made compulsory.
For cars they started in 1996, motorcycles from 2003, tractors from 2005 & vans from 2011 although some manufacturers started providing them earlier. Before this van manufacturers may be able to supply a national attestation of conformity from their french office.

Many people moan about the cost of a coc & have a go at the manufacturers. It is worth noting that it is only required on first registration in a country & it is kept by the authorities (not second hand vehicles in France). Only a very few cars, once registered in the UK, are ever likely to need one again & the manufacturer has discharged his requirement to provide one. If an owner years later decides to move country it is a bit unfair to expect the manufacurer to pay towards that. If they do it’s a bonus. Blame the initial dealer for not asking for the original to be returned & put with the other car documents although some manufacturers do provide a duplicate in the handbook.


Good points Mark. When we had a new Mercedes the CoC was given to us with the other vehicle documents.

1 Like

Same here.

I have ordered CofC from Honda today via email to

Certificate of Conformity arrived from Honda - it took 3 days, wow excellent service from Honda.

1 Like

fingers crossed everything else goes just as smoothly… :relaxed:

I have inherrited a UK camping car (ELDDIS, based on Peugeot J5) and I guess I need to get a CoC - but from whom, Peugeot or Elddis (if they still exist)