CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN in and before the '60s

I was in a band in the late 60's - where were you based Barbara? We were in the Notting Hill area...

Oh, just read further down and see you were in Fulham. Yes, knew it well!

David...sorry ...I worked at Borscht and Cheers...yes the Tears was in Beauchamp place.

The food in those days was pretty poor!

In those days if you put your mind to something ....really

wanted to do it...then you did it!

Look how many of those 60's artists managed to Survive and achieve....in comparison to the here and now.Was there more dedication and support?

I was on the edge of Chelsea ...Fulham in those days and drunk in moderation at

the drug store, Six bells, Chelsea Potter...those are the one's I remember....there was a coffee

place on the worlds END where you sat on mock grass on the floor and watched ....If you felt like it

those PHYSCODELIC clouds on the ceiling...and it was teas...NOT coffee.

I lived right in Chelsea and partied the whole decade but I must be honest and say I saw very little such activity, not even "reefers". I saw the white stuff once only. The consumption of booze was huge though.

I certainly ate at Borscht'n'Tears but I thought they were in Beauchamp Place. The others I used were of course Bistro Vino, The Stockpot, Bistro d'Agran, a dive in a cellar in Sloane Square (was that Jimmies?), Pooh Corner, 555 and countless others! Where was the Last resort- it rings a bell! I liked Julie's and Nick's Diner too. It certainly wasn't fine dining in those days! The accent was on the plonk!

Despite managing a band an knowing a few musicians in the sixties I did not indulge in the illegal

substances. Maybe that is why I really do remeMber most aspects of my life in the siXties....Ready Steady Go and the regular auditions to appear.

the first moments of the Stones, The great .... Scene Club....designing my own clothes and paying 4 pounds

to have a dress made to spec.

You,ve just jogged my sweet memories of the 6o,s. why do all those things I did in the past good and bad seem so great to remember now. Used to mock the older generation who always said it was better in their day but now I see we all think it was!

They reckon that if you can remember the sixties you weren't really there. Despite all those illegal substances I know I was there so that's another theory scotched ;-)

I was at school with Bobby Cook....famous only for pies with flowing green stuff

and eels that riggled.

It was a pie shop in Ridley Road Dalston.

But as I learnt to cook my way through the years I landed in the kitchen

at Borsct n tears in the king's road and then At the Last Resort.

Those days ...the eighties were crazy.

When people did all sorts of odd things like read poetry at Speakers Corner.

These names will come back! I noticed that most of the children's names in my daughter's school here are English or Irish ones and there are very few traditional French ones- except for my British daughter of course- Anne-Sophie Claire! Mind you our surname is French anyway. There are plenty of Breton first names in the school and even a Llewellyn but they spelled it Lewelin!

Mine christened Betty Mary when born in 1912.

OK - mine was born Elizabeth in 1916 but became Betty!

My Mum was Betty as well! Obviously a popular name at the time - she was christened Betty.

Barbara- you are always good at this stuff! I was at school with Peter Brough's son (Archie Andrews the only ventriloquist's dummy on a radio show!) and Muffin the Mule was still quite innocent. Now you would need an independent witness to ensure that one's reputation was unblemished.

My grandfather ran a photo studio in Leeds but did quite well, went posh and moved to Harrogate! Ah yes- Farrah's Toffee and Betty's (my mum was called Betty too!)

David, tha sins lak a Leeds Loiner, jus lak mi!

saturday morning pictures with Roy Rogers

and mods in Margate.

Cars that bump together and the scarry rides which we loved to hate.

The memories are sweet but my eyes have tears.

Not possible to bring back those inocent years.

Eeeeey oooooopp! Bring't on t'ovis 'n' dripping. It were tuff in 'em days. T'Mirror were on t'back of door; put wood in t'hole. I know; our staff told us all about it up at t'hall.

Hopscotch on the paving stones and marbles in the gutter on the way home from school - walking when older but being pushed in the seat on the back of my mother's pushbike when smaller. Buying lardy cakes at the bakery on the way to school and having the crippy bits on top of my chips at the fish shop. Going out to give the coalman's horse my apple core on a very flat hand so he didn't eat my fingers. Running to Sunday school with a silver threepenny bit in my hand for the collection. Having a "face" off the Frys Five Boys chocolate bar if I could tell my parents the story from Sunday School. Pulling my friends with roller skates up the hill of our road on my tricycle.