Converting old French phone

Supposedly it rings for incoming calls…

PS - after originally thinking you were crazy to want to do this, @Stefani, I’ve been thinking about this a surprising amount since you posed the question last night. I’m actually starting to warm to the idea now :smiley:

1 Like

The picture shows an old BT style phone which will have a mechanical bell (I think, don’t know the exact model). Looking online what power was required for the standard BT Type 59 bell, and it’s about 3.2W. Phones without physical bells will draw much les than this.

1 Like

Hehe love this, you should do it, Gareth! Totally agree with that guy on youtube. There’s heaps of gorgeous rotary phones available on Etsy and eBay. I’ll probably buy another one just because the design is so cute.

Thanks so much everyone for your advice and comments so far, very much appreciated. I am still waiting to receive both the phone and the cell2 device in the mail and will update everyone once I’ve received them and tried swapping out the cable :smiling_face:

1 Like

The Cell2jack website does say that some phones may not ring. There is a setting to increase the ring power, but it says that even then some may not ring. It recommends buying a ring amplifier in these cases. These connect in line with the telephone and will give an audible ring themselves.

That is a very cool looking phone ! Good luck with connecting it, sorry i cannot be of help with that.
Also, Welcome :grinning:

Well, what do you know - it just needs an RJ11 to RJ11 lead

Noticing the 1/6 on the photo a Google reverse image search leads to the eBay auction, one of the photos is of the base and…

Voilà

2 Likes

How exciting.

1 Like

I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so :smiley:

1 Like

No one likes a show-off :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Haha. It’s not often I am right so I have to make the most of it! My other half tells me that “60% of the time I’m right every time”

Of course, the problem might now be finding a replacement cable that’s also red… :frowning:

Indeed.

To be fair @Stefani did say

In the first post, which I missed at the time.

Haha love the continued enthusiasm, thanks, all! Yes the challenge will be to find a red cable to replace the gorgeous original :yum:

Or just crimp on an RJ11 - not at all difficult.

If you have the tool :thinking:

Edit : Although I did once use a piece of thin sheet steel and a planshing hammer. Not to be recommended.

A vice can work quite well, but the crimping tools are not that expensive.

As does a pair of parallel nose pliers from my toolbox.

Looks like an Ebay purchase :+1: