Crossing or Straddling (incorrectly marked "touching") the Solid White Line?

Were you here when there was a car in a tree just before the turning to Sauveterre ?
He must have been doing some fair speed.

Hi Vero - You can also cross a solid white line when passing a cyclist, horse and rider, and road work vehicles too. I think that any directions given by a cop when you are in possession or control of a motor vehicle on a road are obligatory.:police_car::oncoming_police_car::police_car::blush:

I am trying not to laugh, but some of you posts are so funny (India & Egypt)
Once time Jaipur taking a tuk tuk back to our haveli, we told the driver he needed to be on the other side of the dual carriageway. At the next ‘gap’ in the concrete dividing wall he nipped through and accelerated across the oncoming traffic :astonished:

1 Like

I don’t remember that but I recall a motorcyclist being hit by a cattle lorry at the junction of the Route Nationale and the road to Albine. I saw the SAMU helicopter arrive so went to have a nosey. It was pretty bad. That junction is horrible!

Vero, If the line is solid at your turn off then I believe you cannot cross it.

1 Like

Ah the camels, they are worse than all the rest. :joy:

More likely the previous occupant wasnt carrying poultry just had the fleas.

1 Like

Correct. Only if a police officer directs you to do so.

Which is why, in many cases here in France, you will see a small break in the solid line, indicating that the person coming out of the side property and needing to cross the line to enter the carriageway (and vice versa) is able to do so.

However, it is not an invitation for traffic on the carriageway to overtake.

1 Like

https://www.legipermis.com/infractions/chevauchement-franchissement-ligne-continue.html

Overtaking a lone cyclist in very special circumstances is the sole exception written into law that allows you to straddle but not cross a continuous white line. Anything else is entirely at the discretion of law enforcement officers.

:sweat_smile: No wonder the French needed to invent the word Bof.

IMHO discussing what the rules are in other countries, such as the UK, is rather confusing.

“You are permitted to straddle or cross a continuous solid white line to enter a side road or property, to manoeuvre round a stationary vehicle blocking your side of the road, to overtake a cyclists, horse or a road works vehicle moving at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less. Crossing double white lines where the line closest to you is solid is illegal outside of the circumstances described above.”

@Lily “Vero, If the line is solid at your turn off then I believe you cannot cross it.”

Now this is interesting because I remember my (UK) driving instructor giving me only the first of the reasons above (plus when directed to do so by an officer of the law).

I had code lessons in France and in Germany which were interesting, very different from UK where I actually did my test and there wasn’t a theory test bar recognising a few roadsigns.

Because in Europe (mainland) they are/were law. In the UK and Ireland they didnt become part law until a few years ago. Up until that point, the highway code was only a recomendation.

Hi folks

The opening post contains a link which clearly outlines the French Laws on white lines.

There is some confusion arising from differences between French Laws and UK etc

Everyone is entitled to do as they wish regarding white lines - but, if NOT adhering to the Law - please do it elsewhere and not around me… :hugs:

1 Like

[quote=“Sytky, post:72, topic:26246, full:true”]

“Because in Europe (mainland) they are/were law. In the UK and Ireland they didnt become part law until a few years ago. Up until that point, the highway code was only a recomendation.”

Yes. I have been aware of that for about, mmm let me see, counting on fingers now, 38 years, something like that…
Did your granny appreciate your advice when it came to egg-sucking ?

2 Likes

Good for you, yes we used to have some very interesting and educationg discussions.

1 Like

I recently saw a motorcyclist taking a left hand bend with his head clearly on the wrong side of the road despite the fact that his wheels had not crossed the white line. Possibly legal but not very wise…
It is also possible for car mirrors to make contact without either vehicle’s wheels touching the centre line.
So I think that awareness of risk is more important than understanting the fine points of motoring law - especially awareness of who might be watching you!