Cruelty free france

that wasn't the perfume you could smell Ben, it was the burning bodies of dead pro-vivisectionists.

Being constraint to wearing the wrong perfume simply because it's the only PETA-approved one, is a cruelty to your surrounding mankind. (I once got mixed up in a PETA demo, smelled to high heavens)

I visited Occitane shop in Poitiers yesterday, and although it was quite an expensive experience for me I was very pleased. I bought a HUGE bottle of eau de toilette for 44 euros which has a very natural scent, not chemical, as it's mainly using essential oils, and will last me for about 5 years I reckon.

The shop manager was extremely proud of Occitane's animal rights record and gave me a couple of samples in with my bag. Everything in Occitane is cruelty free. I got the impression it was like a more expensive Body Shop.

I also found the Nina Ricci and Thierie Mugler but they didn't smell very natural.

By The Way, I HAVE to give my friend Sharon a plug in this discussion and as it's not mine I don't think I'm breaking any rules of the forum. Her soaps, shaving soaps, body butters and lip balm sticks are all hand made by her and VERY carefully sourced and researched. She is very green and scientific about the whole thing and has some great feeback. http://www.nannyssillysoap.com/ps/

She doesn't make any money on the postage and has been working on these things for years. In her other life, she's a legal aid housing rights solicitor!

Thanks, just checked on their site and, unfortunately, my nearest shop is in Paris.

Thank you Jo for the links and information.That's great

Louise ,there are several lush shops in france but mainly in big cities,otherwise things can be ordered on line as with the body shop

All perfumes smell of fake flowers and a ting of chemicals.

I never found a sincere aroma which I loved.

Maybe ...JUST MAYBE ROSE BY PERFUME WORKSHOP;

But natural oil of geranuim is simply lovely

been using it for years.

When I first came to France, a long time ago, I asked in a perfumerie if the products were tested on animals, and they were really surprised and thought I wanted them to be tested on animals and not the other way round! Where can you get Lush products? Thats a new one for me. I have got a local Yves Rocher but my nearest Body Shop is in Paris and Jo Malone is too expensive. The oiseau-libre link is interesting.

IT'S THE BUNNY!!![](upload://tX7Gp6CabDPTzcq5QkAJITiMddb.jpg)shopping cruelty free in europe.

This is great, thanks Suzie. I knew about all the household stuff, arbre vert & so on, but not the petit olivier, so bio biopha or cadum. I'll look out for them on our shelves. I can't always afford them but I do get them when I can.

Is there a french version of the BUAV Rabbit, that's so easy to identify on british cruelty free things?

re the Perfume: the list of well known makes has increased a bit now, thanks to this forum, I can see an Occitaine shop in Poitiers and they even sell it along with Yves Rocher in our local chemist.

and WOW! BUAV, I just discovered, are working on an EU ban for vivisection in the cosmetics trade. EXACTLY what I wanted. I've just been here to sign the petition; and they have tonnes of links and information.

http://www.buav.org/our-campaigns/no-cruel-cosmetics

Hi Jo

I use several products which are cruelty free (in fact I try to buy only cruelty free products) widely available in supermarkets and reasonably priced.

There is" le petit olivier","floressance" ,"so bio" "biopha","cadum"

If you're interested there are cruelty free household cleaning products as well.I use "ecover","arbre vert","attitude" and "method" also available in supermarkets.Ecover can be found at "point vert" and some supermarkets.Starwax also do some,but not all,cruelty free products

Hope this helps

I found BODY SHOP in Le Mans, Rouen, Limoges and Nantes, all on my beaten tracks, so I'll check them out on my way through.

Has anyone experienced the prices at BODY SHOP Française? I was wondering if it would be outrageous or not.

Thanks Catherine. I used the PETA list originally but it's arranged by company and I couldn't tell which ones might be available here. I did find the three above from there though.

I looked at Jo Malone and I must say I now fancy an excuse to go to Paris. Mmmm.

That"s a great link Kirsty thank you. I hadn't got around to a french language search yet, so you've saved me and anyone else too, a lot of time .

I'm in deepest Vienne,unfortunately, Poitou-Charentes, my nearest city is Poitiers and I think the nearest Body Shop or lush is most likely more than 200k away. Will find out soon, hopefully.

I thought of using the trusy WWW, But you can't smell the perfume on the web and if I'm going to "lush out" on a bottle of something for more than 20quid, I'd need to smell it first.

I love that description "only tested on english people"

http://www.peta.org/living/beauty-and-personal-care/companies/default.aspx This website allows you to search a database of companies that do and don't test on animals. Might help? Jo Malone make some fabulous products and they claim to not test on animals. They also have a french website you can order from on line.

I'm guessing (from your comments) that you're in PACA somewhere, possibly even Grasse itself, so I don't know what's available, but here in Montpellier (and many other large French cities) there's a Body Shop and a Lush. Admittedly, they're both British brands (so more expensive here), but their products are all guaranteed animal-cruelty free (Lush products have the rather tongue-in-cheek "tested only on English people" or something similar). I seem to remember that Clinique products are also animal-testing free but I could be mistaken. There's also Weleda (which do lovely products) and Caudalie I think. Here's a list (in French) that I found: http://annuaire.oiseau-libre.net/Animaux/Marques-non-testees.html

Hope this helps!