CV fourteen months and counting

I think this is what we all need to do. Have copies of the relevant EU Regulations and take them with us to whatever office we are visiting.

I’d be very grateful to have that.

Brian, perhaps you could post the relevant EU Regulations here so that Steve and Miriam could print them off?

Thanks Jane and yes I do speak to them. I think I have cracked it now but it’s really thanks to my friend from our Mutuelle who did all the shouting for me!

@ Steve and Miriam, I wonder if you would allow British civil servants to treat you in this way? They are breaking the law and you are letting them get away with it?

It is no different here in France. You are being asked for things that , under EU Regulations, you have no need to supply and Steve, it has taken you this long, do you think it will just happen now? Steve, have you been to see your French MEP? He/she should understand the necessary regulations.

You have come across people who love making life difficult, so turn the tables on them.

Have you spoken to the English speaking helpline for the CPAM?

Their telephone number is 0811363646.

‘Like’ :). Just to be fair in case anyone says we’re not, it took 3 goes to get the form S1 sent filled out properly from Newcastle! I really did have a meltdown over that!!

Ah, 'the rule'. get somebody to show you it black on white then they will go white and give you black looks which is as close as either of you will ever get to that. It is pathetic that the country that is forever claiming to have 'invented' modernity has locked itself into 18th century petty bureaucracy. Sorry folk, the 1789 revolution came and ended that, but the 'rules' don't say that.

Yes Al, palava is the word that comes to mind. Here in the Var I get a bit fed up when I explain my problem & people who’ve been here maybe 15 years say they never had a problem themselves & had the CV immediately. I’m thrilled for them but it doesn’t help me! I’m pretty easy going but I can honestly say I was at one point made to feel as though I was trying to steal someone else’s ID. The young woman I dealt with last week was really helpful but having been told on the phone that because it was their error in giving me 2 files they assured me they would issue my permanent number there & then. When I got there I was told I still have to wait 2 months because it’s ‘the rule’. Why? What rule? I want to remind them that they’re not actually doing me a favour and that I’m entitled to this but I’m scared that any complaint will have my file buried at the bottom of the inbox for another year!!

You know reading these posts and in particular about translations it never ceases to amaze me how different it is between one region/department in France to another. For us there was no need to have anything translated, they simply took a photocopy and that was that. It seems to me that laws and regulations are passed down from on high through regions, departments and then local admin offices with each of these putting their own interpretation on what they think is being said and what they needed to do.

When we came to France it was obligatory to have a Carte de Jour but halfway through the procedure the law changed and it was an option and not a requirement for people like us. Having waited months I went to the prefecture and asked what was happening and they told me that as I didn't need one they had, without telling me, cancelled the application. When I said I wanted one all the same they said I couldn't have one. Now the law said I could have one if I asked but their interpretation was they were no longer to issue them. The reason I explained is because it is a legal requirement under French law to carry identification at all times and rather than carry my driving licence, passport or both with me running the chance of one or both getting lost or stolen I would prefer the Carte de Jour. Finally after printing off the respective legislation and waving it in front of them they gave me one but what a palava.

Especially since this is something retained by particular offices/bureaucrats from years ago which is no longer a requirement following EU regulations, Council of Europe directives and central government guidelines. When they have even tried to persuade us it is necessary we have produced my stack of documents and seen how quickly they back off).

I couldn’t agree more. In fact it’s difficult to get different members of staff in the same office to agree. I think they could do better.

Not consistent, is it? I just translated my birth certificate myself without being asked for a translation, in case the local team hadn't seen one before, and they accepted it without further problems. It is really hard to help each other along this path because no two offices follow the same rules.

Yes Steve, I did the same but through a sworn translator. Jumping through hoops!

Yes Diana, I can identify with that! I always hated my maiden name but have adopted it again for all official purposes. We arrived here as retirees both on state pensions but only I have had the delay. We know the staff in Toulon CPAM like family and if I totted up toll charges, petrol etc for each trip I could probably pay for a new hip. I realised the other day that every day is exciting as I wait to see if the postman will bring my little green card!

Our CVs took ages, too. As early retirees pre state pension we waited 5 yrs before we had the right to apply, it was all straightforward but they kept checking my marriage cert. I didn't make a fuss because my private pension is so small that I wouldn't have to pay, so they had to be sure I was entitled to cover, but it did take about a year. Phil's came through weeks before mine, but his pension meant he had to pay each quarter so was less of a risk! Now our UK state pensions have started, forms duly processed with surpriising speed, and hopefully we won't be charged for his cover any more. His attestation says he is in "Regime 710" as a migrant, which I think means the UK will be cross-charged for our care. We got to know the lady in the local CPAM office quite well while the formalities were going on, she was a great help and kept chasing the main office in Bourg-en-Bresse while complimenting us on keeping our sense of humour. As in the Hotel des Impots, the local staff are lovely, and very helpful. It is funny to be addressed by my maiden name, though - I haven't used it for 42 years!

Oh no!! They said mine was urgent. Maybe I’ll get it for Christmas! I won’t hold my breath. I’m saving all this for my memoirs :slight_smile:

The CPAM used my date of adoption instead of my date of birth and tried to tell me that they were right!
Eventually they admitted their mistake and said my CV application would be treated as urgent. It took even longer the second time round!

Just to give an update on my problem with the CV. I spent nearly two hours at my CPAM office in Toulon today and eventually was told that there were 2 dossiers on me. Anyone applying I urge you to keep your own dossier of everything you need and that they copy. They told me that I hadn’t provided my birth certificate even though it was my 4th visit and they photocopied it every time both in English and transcribed into French. My problem stemmed from having a nom de naissance which is the one I use and a married name. The second thing I did was take help from my Mutuelle. I can’t name them as it would constitute advertising but the man from mine allowed me to phone him from CPAM so that he could speak in French to the member of staff and really persuade her to address my case. He really helped me and I can’t thank him enough. If you don’t have access to that sort of help and you are less than 100% fluent in French you need someone who is. Files will sit untouched forever. Last bit of advice is to take your marriage certificate if you are a woman, a book for the long wait and to ask for the name and contact details of the manager of the office in the event that it still goes wrong. They have promised me that I will have my CV in 2 months so I wait in hope!

lol

Keep taking the vitamins & don’t cross the road in the rush hour!