Dangerous driving

I have only speed read this thread and with amusement!
Just back from the UK where I popped a tyre on one pot hole and took a chunk out of another, navigated through numerous towns at 20, tailgated by yoovs in Corsas wanting to race and so on.
I will keep off the subject of the multitude of knackered BMWs driven by various ages of wannabees desperate to overtake…
What a relief to get back to France. 1000kms home on relaxing road surfaces, everyone minding their own business, signs to warn me of a camera ahead.
France? Good! Brexshitland? Crap!

3 Likes

How awful it must be to have to return to the land of your birth. Thank goodness you made it safely back to France so that those of us who still live in the UK can get on with our lives. :wink:

Adam - I know exactly what you mean…

1 Like

I understand your sentiment Adam, but the driving here, in the Var at least, is dreadful, really dreadful. It’s not a matter of UK vs France for me, it’s a matter of twenty years ago we didn’t have arseholes (amazingly not only boy racers but also women) careering around blind bends on the wrong side of the road or overtaking on the brow of a hill, texting as they drive, or reversing and pulling out without looking. A bloody idiot in a van almost T-boned me in the car park this evening. A neighbour was wiped out (as in killed) by an idiot motorcyclist (also dead), who thought he was a grand prix competitor, as he came out of his drive a couple of years ago. Sundays the roads are filled with his ilk. Pathetic clowns.

I like fast cars and I like driving quickly and I’m happy with a laissez faire attitude to driving, once it is competent. It used to be so in France and I would argue still is in Italy, but in France now it’s the idiots that rule the road.

I think you spelt ‘La La Land’ wrong. :wink:

1 Like

I agree 100% on that. I left relative safety in 29 to move to 66. My goodness what a shock, either speed demons or dodderers with never any indicators, cars that are not really roadworthy and no manners. My son warned me never to gesticulate or confront anyone if I get cut up even as a female and to just concentrate.

Ha Ha! No, my country of birth is quite a bit west of you! I do though have extensive interests in the UK, and for this reason annoyed that it is such a mess.

I only posted to counteract the criticism of driving conditions here to emphasise that, yes it is not good, there is another equally bad place not far away.

I am what someone refers to above one of those Audi tosspots with the added tarnish that the model has an RS in the name, and daily I get white van man and wannabee Charles LeClercs on my tail, yes, dangerously so, but It is the same and often worse in the UK… Sorry if it offends!

Yes, and getting back to the actual topic title, the idiots do rule because policing is, I agree, poor. Unlike across the channel (or, so it seems to me) the policing is a lot stronger.

Not to mention the traffic is a lot heavier and the roads are in an appalling state. Does anyone manage to go over about 30mph in the UK these days? :thinking:

Only those who can actually drive.

It’s not always that bad, but many of the incomers who’ve never driven on country roads struggle badly.

You are John Scully’s brother, and I claim my £5. :rofl:

3 Likes

Umm, no. A tad more west than that. Although I did grow up there for twenty odd years…
So, I guess you can get half of your fiver… :grinning:

1 Like

I think your comments would be better in the race - ism topic. Perhaps not all Audi drivers are as you describe, ask our@billybutcher :wink:
Edit
I was a white van man and couldn’t keep up with an Audi if I tried.

Not as I describe - what we have been described as above :rofl:

having said that I hope I shall have seen my last Audi (until the next one) if the buyer turns up as promised…Going to try something much more understated - still has an R in the name but no S. It should keep the wanabees off my tail…

All I can say re your van, you did not have the right one - whether it is only the new ones, but they go at the speed of light. Maybe my age and I do not push as hard as I used to, but some of these guys make an RS3 look pedestrian, I kid you not!

That’s a lot of odd years. They all seem odd to me these days :thinking:

Back on topic…

I’ve noticed that other road users have a different attitude to you depending what car you are in. They try and race the BMW and generally cut you up, at roundabouts they pull straight out in front of our poor little 306 cabriolet, they all overtake the Morgan and (as somebody else said) then go slower than it. The C350e is the only one that’s treated “normally”, it’s dark blue and quite innocuous, though very quick. My old Tiguan looked like a little truck but had 240BHP and 4WD so that used to give a few people (BMWs for example :face_with_hand_over_mouth:) a surprise at the traffic lights grand prix.

I do like a Q car. I had a SAAB 9-5 Aero which had 250bhp but, to the untrained eye, looked nothing special. It surprised quite a few people. I still miss that car.

1 Like

Lovely car, lovely marque in fact :slightly_smiling_face:

Not quite a Q car (see footnote) but I have a Westfield XI, which is a replica of the 1957 Lotus Eleven. It’s tiny, but quite dramatic and swoopy. It’s also very low. In the UK, most people ignored it, and many tried to race it. I ignored all challenges and just enjoyed the car for what it was.

When I brought it to France, everywhere I went people said it was ‘fantastique’ etc with one young man even offering to swap his girlfriend for a chance to drive it. Rather than trying to race it, most people voluntarily gave me precedence.

Unfortunately, kit cars are pretty much impossible to immatriculate here in France so the hand-built creation is at present crated up, awaiting transport back to the UK for sale :slightly_frowning_face:

With a weight of 490Kg and 135bhp, it can manage 0-100kph in about 4 seconds with its current gearing.

3 Likes

I’ve been amazed at the reaction my old SAAB* convertible gets. Even in central Paris people pull alongside and offer words of praise.

*You might be noticing a pattern in my choice of car.

Have you tried to get the car immatriculated?

It can be done. Westfield is a recognised marque now.