Dangerous driving

The most (in)famous real life example?

7 June 1964 Burlington Arcade Robbery, Piccadilly, London.
‘A Jaguar car roared up to a Jewellers shop in the pedestrian only arcade. Five masked men with sledgehammers and iron bars smashed in the windows and escaped with diamond rings and bracelets worth £50,000.’

Wonder they caught anyone. Met both of them years later.

Were they chasing you?

Haha. One was a school reunion, the other at lunch.

They will always spin relatively easily, but are simple to catch before it becomes catastrophic. That’s because they have a low polar moment of inertia. The opposite configuration, say the Alfa 155 for example, with the engine in the front and the gearbox in the back axle has a high polar moment of inertia and will grip like hell, until it let’s go and then you’ve a snowball’s chance in Hell of catching it. Which is the reason I put my 155 Twin Spark backwards into a garden wall in 1991 :roll_eyes: It was only months old and most of the speed had scrubbed off before contact but it bent the A pillar so was a technical write off. I replaced it with a more sedate Audi 80 1.8E.

I had a friend, Ralph, who died in his X/19 in 1978. but it was due to a head on at badly signed road works rather than a handling issue. He was only 24 or 25 :frowning:

The Cologne built 2.6 was rumoured at the time to be the better engine, if I remember correctly.

Seeing the mention of Fiat took me right back to the end of the 90’s when I owned a Barchetta limited edition, just like the one below. Great fun car, but three long lasting memories from the time were, firstly the fact it had no a/c, secondly that I inadvertently left the alarm key fob in the pocket of my jeans which were promptly washed which led to all sorts of difficulty getting back into the car and lastly that I spun it into a very deep ditch whilst trying to rather unsuccessfully perform a handbrake turn :scream: Fond memories :smiley:

2 Likes

I was doing 80km/h along a road where the max speed is 80 and was overtaken by a real chancer of a driver on a blind bend which made me furious! I slammed on the brakes. Could have involved me and others in an accident.

I have it on video and am sorely tempted to make a complaint at the local gendarmerie, but would the gendarmerie take any action?

I have obscured the number plate on the photo.

I’m impressed with your picture’s resolution and clarity.
What’s the camera model?

1 Like

As far as I’m aware, the gendarmerie will only use their own dashcam footage

Drat… I was talking with two visiting gendarmes just after 5pm today… if I’d seen this post, I’d have asked appropriate questions…

Will try to remember for next time… :wink: :wink:

1 Like

It’s a Garmin 56 model bought in 2022. Great little dash cam. Tiny! Not available now I believe, but superceded by Garmin 57.

https://www.amazon.fr/Garmin-Dash-Cam-Enregistrement-ultra-compact/dp/B094Y5JDJ7/ref=sr_1_5_mod_primary_new?crid=ZAN88I14FZEJ&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.PbXgEjQGSO979ynrAUwtrtgf4d6N4x_83VqMIifXwMKcnv9S-UNm5-VLA5LB1B4ZTs1_3oud8hzJpVCCOwy6fIxsLyvJ6oVQV_aUCINzNI_aWBviJoOatLRaBe8s9cz8zETwO_FVxdceSS6rlaTnJ25iXWnwDJ3Of3fK968cLU8NFnf0jAwvpi6MC5h65mgKRI9vMd2ITlaHMqNgWwWDYsk-vXPvXVJUdQyuEUVvZDcCXJSpYzjHnbSWPWvrv_GF75jYP8k76Vie2b-1XBDwadcJVAhuNCLHrJLu-kpWLlE.ORcejbCvbBE8LRkwd8dXBWt_dQrkmAAJDO2A0WK46No&dib_tag=se&keywords=garmin%2Bdash%2Bcam%2B56&qid=1714065642&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sprefix=Garmin%2BDash%2BCam%2B56%2Caps%2C134&sr=8-5&th=1

1 Like

I shall pop in to ask anyway. Feel that I need to do something…

Ahh so they let you go then :rofl:

3 Likes

Still low resolution by standards today. 1080p.
But with good daylight its not bad. I moved to 4k/ 2k and its amazing clarity after my first one failed.
Best bang per buck when I bought mine.

:rofl: :rofl: lovely guys… we all had a chat and a laugh when they arrived at the Mairie, then I left them to their… whatever… seems I wasn’t on their “wanted list”, not this time. :crossed_fingers: :+1:

My tiny little Garmin is 1440p and picks up car number plates easily. Is there any real discernable visual difference?

There was on my old unit :rofl: Its also the ability to enlarge the photo if required where it really helps, simply more pixels. Its also that Garmin charge a fair bit for what is a bit dated, you simply can buy better. The other one I nearly got was the Viofo cant remember why I swapped maybe size of the unit.

Not when resized to the same pixel dimensions from the original size in both cases and uploaded to a forum. :slight_smile:

If you compared ex-camera originals, unresized, yes you would see a difference between 2560 x 1440 pixels and 3840 x 2160 pixels.

Although the quality of the camera (and specifically the physical size and quality of the sensor) also comes into play - 4K from a cheap camera with a small sensor will not look as good as (say) 1080p from a camera with a sharper lens and a larger sensor, especially in low light conditions.

With stills taken from video the frame rate and bit rate (how much data is being captured per second), as well as the degree of compression used, also come into play.

Not to mention how much sharpening or other post-processing is being applied, either in-camera or by the user.

When comparing “image quality” between cameras it’s often a case of apples and oranges!!

2 Likes

Happens all the time in our neck of the woods. We just try and make sure we don’t end up in their accident.