Dear old London. What has she got?

Absolutely. We moved out when my son was thirteen and about to change schools. In the 'car driving away, he told me that as soon as he was old enough, he'd go back. Couldn't bear to live his little adolescent life without Brent Cross and his spotty (and often snotty) little friends. After five years down here (if I mentioned the beautiful countryside, he'd stifle a pretend yawn), three years in Birmingham, a year in Rome, and five in London, he now wishes that his career path would allow him to live down here again. I remember South Kensington, AND the girls from the Lycee in the late fifties (one of whom runs a 'deli, down here) trying to impress with my execrable school learned French. Can't remember the names of the pubs, one I think in Bute St......Oh God, I think I'm going to cry I hate going back to an entirely different city.

Blimey Barbara, if I may misquote "thou hast nor youth nor age but as it were, an after dinner sleep, dreaming of both". The London you yearn for, as Brian has said, now exists (perhaps never existed) but in your mind.

Thanks for your comments Emrys. I think the idea of a video on the 'other side of the dream' is brilliant. I love France but I'm conscious of the downsides. Likewise rural Dorset is bliss in the winter months minus the 'grockles'. The six months back in Blighty allow us to catch up with trips to the theatre, concerts and the odd course, not forgetting seven of the ten grandchildren! When we're back here, usually in the summer months, we enjoy the company of our French friends (from local farmers, maires, notaires and artisans) and participate in all the village festivities and the many concerts during fete de la musique and so on. We're further north than you being about 80km east of Bordeaux (dordogne) and about 30 minutes north of Bergerac airport. I can't understand why other folk can't just accept the good and bad in each country. Vive la difference!

South Kensington almost French with her small bistos and patiiseries...and then there was the polish restaurant

far from glamerous but it had it''s place amongst the crowd of tourists and sophisticated Kensingon people.
Lovely houses in south Ken....

Cooked for several clients in the area and always felt safe walking around the streets.

If only time had stood still....just a little.

If half of London moved on to what it is now and the other half remained unspoilt.

So where are we going now?

"i think I'm going back to the days" Dusty Springfield....Dear old Dusty.

Born in London, grew up in South Ken, went to the Lycee Francais de Londres, my three children grew up there,I went to work every day on the tube, aaaaargh... now I live in France and the children live in Spain, Montenegro and Bristol, and none of us miss London at all. It is soooooooo expensive, crowded and dirty, and I want to remember it as it was when I grew up in the '50s and it was all a bit like an Ealing comedy... so I don't go back anymore!

I like that because it is honest and true.

I did venture from North to south to East to west looking in every

corner...

But that was yesterday....It is all over now.

Where is this going?

Catherine was closing it down....

So perhaps that is the solution.

I wonder where this is actually going? One problem with it is that there is probably no single London. My parents, in their lives, probably lived there more years than where they came from, and my sister most certainly along with a lot of old friends. They have spent most of their lives in their part of London, that is their London. I am certain that most, if not all, know all or many of the well known landmarks and probably quite a large number of them have gone 'up west' for shopping, entertainment or other activities at some time. However, most have everything they need locally because everything tends to be within easy reach. Therefore people do not always comfortably visit SE London if the come from SW London, etc, because they tend to be happy with the more familiar places they know.

There is nothing wrong with that given the size of the place. If the many things London offers that are not available locally then there is always the opportunity to go out to find them. The issue of nostalgia is intereting too. Between seven and 18 I lived in SW19, we had Wimbledon Common with some farmland still used as that and the windmill still working. The common was otherwise wild and a place to explore that we children thoroughly enjoyed. The windmill is long since decommissioned and used for something else, the fields gone and when I went up there about two years ago it looked quite 'manicured' to me. I am using it as an example of things changeing, not as a preference. People who use the common now have a different expectation to the children of the 1950s. Whilst nostalgia is a very personal thing, it does not mean that what was once should be brought back and imposed on people who never knew that.

London is forever evolving and as much as one might read about the medieval city, the seventeenth century, Victorian London or whatever time, it cannot go back and like nostalgia is purely history. History is an endless story, so be it. It is also very personal for those who know 'their' London and why not since we are all individuals rather than clones who can only agree on every issue?

Emrys, I totally agree with all your comments and we are in the same situation as you and it's the advice I give to anyone contemplating selling up and moving over here: IF you can afford it keep a small pied a terre in the UK as you never know what's round the corner. I was widowed 6+ years ago and found life tough here in the winter months despite being totally integrated and lots of French friends (brought up here so speak like a native). I was fortunate in having a property back in Dorset and made the decision to spend my winter months back there. I have since remarried and we still continue to spend 6 months in each country.

A well reasoned reply Emrys, I enjoyed reading your balanced views.

Freddy I appreciate your understanding.

Perhaps it would be logical to assume that I drink whisky....but, infact

I do not drink alcohol sadly.

Catherine yes concider the topic closed.

I have enjoyed some moments on SF.

Thank you.

Not at all Catherine, Barbara is induliging 'Poetic Licence' (probably like me with something Scottish and warming), which just needs (possibly individual) interpretation. She is just lamenting the lost London of previous years. To mis-quote "where once I went and cannot come again".

Regards

Freddy Stone

Thanks Catherine

Please shut this discussion down. The proponent may have her views, but I for one cannot fathom them out. It seems odd that somone who has upped sticks to enjoy a life they could not have in their homeland should decry others who do the same.

Glass houses. Stones.

Thanks Kwashie

"It is not about who is there....BUT why some of them are there."

Barbara - I along with quite a few others have no idea what you are talking about. I think this 'discussion' has become ridiculous and unless you can give me a good reason not to, I will shut it down as to be honest, it makes SFN look stupid and the SFN members look like idiots. Please advise.

All sounds like the innocent old London at night...

Which, of course, having managed a band and been somone who lived for

music...I had come accross all sorts.

The "hard looking blokes" still linger but their activities are darker than way back then.

So London is multicultural we know that. It will never change and why should it?

It is not about who is there....BUT why some of them are there.

London has lost her innocense.

The innocense which I appreciated and respected.

Not sure how many of you were there from childhood to middle age...or beyond.

Would be interested to hear your stories.

Thank you David ....

Ah Catherine the question...WHAT is wrong with journalists?

My answer...Nothing!!
But on the topic od dear Old London....If I was a journalist there would

be so much to write and so many people's views to include.

It would be a big story.

Barbara, it WAS seedy: being stung for entrance fees and the thrown out because we were too young, the allure of 'French lessons, third floor, ring twice' (I may say, never seduced....previously warned of the dangers...physical and moral), and really hard looking blokes with menacing stares. My wife is a blond and does not like walking alone on the street in the area (of Brick Lane), says that she is treated very contemptuously in some of shops thereabouts. Must say, though, the Council have made a great attempt at 'incorporation': the parkin front of my son's flat is named after a Bangladeshi, has the ouline of the original 'White Chapel' in it, and the road to the side is named after a Chief Rabbi. All completely irrelevant to the original subject... sorry

Are goosebumps catching?

Emrys, it is exactly that, that I'm keen to hear about. As you say, the attractions of life in France are very evident. It is the 'downside' that I am keen to hear about, so that we have a 'balance' on which to decide, and a good idea of what to prepare for.

Regards

Freddy Stone

glamerous fleshpots sounds seedy...

I REMEBER soho..THE Scene club...The Flamingo.

Where music met music and people talked music and lived music.

Ah Brick Lane..my brother lives there.

Well almost there...he lives just by the flower market.