Death. What do you do?

sorry to Here this . its a difficult time. Where do you live !

my mother died last year.

if you life in the uk am sure there are lots of web sight to help with admin side of things.

organising here estate so would need to see a soliciter to make sure she has a will and if she owns propert y

etc !

just working through a list

good luck and it is a trying time

hope this helps

You have my sympathies, Mark. My mother died in January 2010 from abdominal cancer. We (my two siblings and I) had six months to come to terms with the impending loss of Mum and I knew the sorting out of all the details would fall to me. One thing I was glad I had done before she died was to contact the funeral home in advance to discuss arrangements. I found out that the plot where my father is buried was full - however, Mum had instructed she was to be cremated and the funeral home people were able to find out that the plot although technically full could accommodate the small wooden casket with the ashes. I also wrote out the notice to be put in the newspaper when the time came, which I hadn't done when Dad died, with the result that it was error ridden, and I had left out stuff. It might be different in the UK, but in Ireland the death notice (with funeral details) also contains mention of the bereaved family members. My Mum died at home and I found out that I had to call a doctor to certify death. That was tough and I wish I had known in advance that this would need to be done. Having discussed in advance everything withe the funeral home, all I had to do was call and leave my name. They took over after that.

Other admin tasks will be sorting out her estate (Will, closing accounts, and so on, opening Executor's Account in the bank, etc.), and for many people, the painful bit after death is getting rid of their loved one's clothes, and the bits and bobs accummulated over many years. Having discussed this with good friends, a number of them volunteered to do this for us (her Will instructed that the house was to be sold) and it lessened the pain.

Hope this helps in some way.

Sorry to hear this Mark.

My dad went twenty years ago here. Apart from the funeral, you will need to organise the succession if your mum owns property. This is the legal dividing up of the estate and usually takes place with your notaire.

For the rest, it was so long ago and I was in a bit of a daze that I have just about forgotten what went on.

Bon courages for the weeks ahead.