Debiting My French Bank Account

I agree @anon27586881 I love the French system. Everything is done for you couldnā€™t be any easier.

1 Like

Absolutely agreeā€¦

@fabien even sent us a cancellation letter model to useā€¦ and checked that we had done the necessary in the correct timescale.

1 Like

The US is just as bad, or worse.

Whether you think this acceptable is a philosophical point, Iā€™ve discussed before the fact that something like 80% of the money supply comes from creation of debt in the modern ā€œwesternā€ economies because banks can create loans without capital to back them - just adding numbers to a record on a computer that corresponds to your balance.

I think a few people had a lot of difficulty grasping the concept.

Is it a good thing - well, it enables people to buy goods which drives the economy so you might argue that it is desirable. Unfortunately when someone notices that the castle built on little more than clouds has no foundations things do tend to come crashing down disastrously.

I will contact Fabien.

Many thanks

Hi Ashley, actually, in order to make sure they were (or not) in their right term to trigger the direct debit simply ask them for a copy of your signed ā€œMandat de prĆ©lĆØvement SEPAā€ (SEPA direct debit order). Failure to deliver say document would prouve them wrong and vice et versa of course. In the meantime you can also inform your bank that you contest the debit so that theyā€™ll also double check with the debitor that their claim was legit. As youā€™re into double checking, also ask the insurance company for a copy of your signed policy which should clearly state both the automatic renewal (99% of French insurances will auto renew) and the ā€œinstallmentā€ (one-off debit - to be taken out directly from your bank account). If anything is missing you can file an official complaint through the legal procedure as this is a regulated business but first double check on the signed paperwork they have from you which should contain at least that SEPA mandate and the policy. Let me know how it goes :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Fabien

Many thanks. i have requested this information from them. Best Wishes

Just in case, if they donā€™t answer you or donā€™t want to comply, send the same request with the word ā€œreclamationā€ in the emailā€™s subject and also request the details of their ā€œmediateurā€ (only do that if they donā€™t comply but this would put some legal pressure on them to make sure theyā€™ll send the documentation). :wink:

Excellent.

Will do.

Many thanks

@anon88169868 Saw this and thought of you!

4 Likes

Certainly appropriate for the UK economy :slight_smile:

Personally I have no non-mortgage debt and hope I do not need to change that.

Not an attack! I thought it would amuse you in view of previous conversation :grinning:

Not interpreted as such.

2 Likes

You need to notify that this is a fraudulent payment as you never gave you RIB details or signed authorisation

The reason i no this is because we have clients who have to pay on a RIB (DDM) and we have to get a signed authorisation as its very strict as we are given a special number from the Banking Authorities allowing us to take RIBS

You can also make a complaint to the bank of France regarding what has occurred which will cause them a lot of problems

Hi Robertā€¦ I seem to recall you already have membership on the forum from some years agoā€¦ is this correct???

You seem to have 2 accountsā€¦ :zipper_mouth_face:

Hi Robert

That is very informative. Thank you.

Yes but forgot details

Iā€™ll ask James to sort things out for youā€¦

@james Robert has 2 accounts runningā€¦ :thinking:

Hi Robert,
If this is you we could have done with your input on this thread. :grinning:
rg

Yes, Traceyā€¦ they are one and the sameā€¦ :relaxed:

Iā€™ve said this before but perhaps not clearly enough. Unless one cancels insurance in the correct way then one is liable to pay. So whether or not they debited it correctly doesnā€™t wipe out this debt. Insurance companies can respond harshly and heavily so the negative repercussions may not be worth it. Tackle this with a friendly face.

4 Likes