Declaring retirement as Auto-entrepreneur

Yes, maximum of 4 trimesters are counted in any given year. Plus in 2022 to validate a trimester (as an AE at least) you have to earn at least 1585,50Euros. Sick leave and/or unemployment do count. But I didn’t have either. The points system I just don’t understand. It’s another animal altogether.

Thanks for this info Shiba. Glad you’re receiving it!

Rice Pudding, have you run a simulation on potential payments at retirement? You can do this on the site Badger referred to–that’s where I started the process. And had run a few simulations the last few years to check for accuracy.

It should not make any difference. Trimestres are not credited one at a time. They look at the income at the end of the year, and depending on the annual turnover you are allocated one, two, three or four trimestres for the year. Eg if you earn 1k in T1, 5K in T2, 5K in T3 and 0K in T4, it adds up to 11k for the ye.

A trimstre is 3 months. So yes a quarter of a year.

@judyk I did and the estimated amount should be not too bad really at age 67 when it eventually gets paid, unless the system as a whole suffers from further depreciation. If I work until age 68, it will go up again (not something for which I fully understand the rational). Had I been solely reliant on the pension paid out by the state and the CIPAV as an independent, things would be looking pretty rough indeed, but I am fortunate enough to have had a previous career as an employee, so a complementary private pension also kicks in, albeit as I haven’t been an employee for 14 years it is depreciating over time…my question was really more oriented to how one deals with outgoings whilst waiting for the state to start making the actual payments. I can imagine that this period could be very challenging for a fair number of people, even dire.

EDIT: the extra income at age 68 would come from having contributed 170 trimesters, i.e. the total number required for someone born between 1967 and 1969 - there you go !

If you make a loss on your year balance sheet as an entrepreneur individuel, that’s zero trimesters for your pension despite having paid into the system. Granted, the following year’s contributions will be low or inexistent, and you may even get a reimbursement/credit, but that still doesn’t help you get back those lost trimesters, they’re gone for good.

I’m not so sure about this. From my perception, they do look at each trimester for the minimum threshold in earnings to validate the trimester. My “beef” is that many times my receipt of income spilled over into another trimester when I had no income reported in some trimesters because of staggered payments by many schools or vacataire payments which are paid months later. Impacted also over summer months when I wasn’t working so had no income to report ie. nature of the beast.
It would seem more fair if they indeed looked at total annual income and social charges paid for that year. Would you be able to point me to where I might find out about your belief of total income vs per trimester? Appreciate it.

I do not know where to point you to but I am speaking from experience. I did a few consultancy jobs under ME after I reduced my salarié hours and I remember when I was preparing my retraite I checked my career history to see if the consultancy work had been taken into account,
and it was clear that a couple of substantial one-off payments during a year counted as four trimestres for that year. I certainly never did four consultancy jobs during a year or received four separate payments spread out across the trimestres. In fact most of the trimestres were not counted because I already had four but they still appeared on mycareer history. Have you looked at your career history to see how many trimestres you have been credited with?

Thanks. Yes I have looked at my history. But it still appears they only counted trimesters from which I had reached minimum threshold for earnings and paid social charrges accordingly. I might just try sending a message for clarification.

Me too - no news yet…

However, I’m in the same position as you & am not living hand to mouth. My wife (older than me) has a small French pension, a full UK pension, & tiny private/workplace ones.