Declaring your French home as second home

Hi ya
I’m hearing from a friend that English people without French residency who own a French home have now got to fill in a form and declare it as second home…?
Anyone shed some light on this…?

Cheers
Jere

there’s some info in the Property & Home category…

1 Like

It’s very simple. Presumably,y you pay taxe foncière so have an account on impôts.gouv? If you go to your espace particuliar there is a tab called biens immobliers. You open that and there should be details of your property and who inhabits it. Follow the instructions to confirm that you are second home owners. That’s it.

Just to say it is for all property owners, not just second home owners.

2 Likes

Unless like me, its a new build and not yet “known” to the fisc for tax purposes until two years have passed so I did not have to declare anything.

1 Like

I am new to all this,
I bought the place in March 2020 but its not liveable and has no furniture.
I got sent a habitation tax bill for 2022 and paid it.
I am over shortly to replace the roof. I have filled the form in to say it is not habitable with no furniture.
Cheers
Jere

1 Like

Have you followed that up? And is it connected to water and electricity? As often the tax people will not accept that it is not habitable if there are services and still charge you.

However for the purpose of this declaration it is a property that you own, so you have to declare it, and I think (have ‘t tried) that they is a category for not habitable.

There is no electricity or gas.
Just water.

For the other house that I own I had to send the tax folks proof that both electric and water were disconnected i.e no services available. I’d be very surprised if they accept just the electric disconnected as you could be using solar/generator…….

Remember, the tax folks want to maximize their pot!

And not just the English :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes