Degrading or Reasonable Policing

I didn’t really need the wiki link, I know what they are. They can be used in both civil and military matters, meaning that they can be hired as mercenaries. Does France or indeed Europe need militarised mercs on steroids?? that’s another debate. the question was “what European army?” I just answered the question. I honestly couldn’t be bothered yet another endless SFN debate.
I just wanted people to know that there IS a European militarised police force, as obviously a lot of people seem oblivious.

Not European, not used within Europe. Did you actually read the wiki link? Presumably UN troops are mercenaries, according to you?

And FYI for anyone who is interested, the French military is one of the very few western powers who do not subcontract to mercenaries. The British army does. :frowning:

2 Likes

That is , according to your own post, you supported the miners at Orgreave.
The miners were striking illegally and if you support action like that, there is, obviously, going to be some sanction.

Ok…not sure where I said that and I admit I had to look up the battle at Orgreave…

I’m left thinking that it was a case of police brutality against unarmed miners…???

It appears that you are just left thinking.

UN troops cannot be hired for civil matters.
Wikipedia is not at all a reliable rescource. I know first hand what the force is. I’m not here to debate it. just to inform that it exists.

I’m interested in why it should be such a bad thing - outside towns here the gendarmerie does what you might consider police work. When I was little and growing up it was a well known fact that the gendarmes were much nicer than the police.

1 Like

Who said it was a bad thing? you are debating with someone that has no side to take.

@Zoe I don’t think you said it was a bad thing, I think that was Helen (? apologies if I have taken your name in vain).

1 Like

I have been told this, but my experience of the Cluny gendarmerie is nothing short of horrifying.

1 Like

I expect there are some complete arses about, I have noticed that my pupils who want to become gendarmes are often very unacademic and have fairly dodgy attitudes especially towards discipline. Very odd.

1 Like

Very worrying.

1 Like

I find it funny that some people think that these kids were treated poorly yet at the same time applaud the militant GJ’s for using violence to get what they want, many gendarmes have been hurt during the past weeks demonstrations so you can’t blame them for not ‘playing nice’.

I have been “lurking” on the forum for some months gleaning snippets of useful information having bought a house and moved out here 3 months ago. I find the polarisation of opinions on here fascinating, but I struggle to understand why anyone would condone illegal and destructive activity and feel that the police or gendarmes should have to fight a “fair” fight. Indeed I would question why the gendarmes should have to fight at all… surely advancing militarily armed gendarmes should strike the militants with fear for their lives. That is their purpose, no?

2 Likes

I agree James…I absolutely love the diverse range of opinions and the discussions and the flow of “off topicness” that often creates wider understanding…

I’ve not been here that long either…moved here just as the U.K. voted to leave…

I think I have yet to grasp whether there is a difference here between gendarmes and police…and army…

No doubt the gilet jaunes have probably been infiltrated to a certain degree but also I have watched footage of many police agitators…

Well Helen, here’s a handy explanation for you. I wondered the same thing, here is my post from February.

2 Likes

What would they think of Dixon of Dock Green?

1 Like

îlotage

My mom and dad loved Dixon of dock green…I remember some of the episodes…when I was little one of my uncles on my dad’s side was a Sergeant…

One time when I was about 10…, I’d been trusted to take my younger sister to the papershop at the top of our road…just a few houses away…when we came out a man in a green transit said he knew my dad and told us to get in his van and he would give us a lift home…I just grabbed my sisters hand and told her to run…

Needless to say my dad didn’t know anyone with a green transit…