Dementia, or ageing

Please, dear hearts, I dunno if this helps but at the ripe old age of 45 or 46 I left my wallet in a train, I’d put it in one of the pockets in front of the seat. It was returned to the train station’s lost and found, who contacted me.

Please, it’s probably not Alzheimer’s, nor dementia. There are simply stresses in the world that push us to our limits and even those of us in comfortable lives will do human nature things and forget, or change our habits.

Not until one does this several times in a row does it come to be a concern with regard to dementia.

3 Likes

Here’s a thought…My OH was diagnosed with a B12 deficiency. He now has a round of injections every 6 months to put it right. Better memory and mood.

May be worth a consult?
Best of luck :hugs:

I’ll mention it next time I see the doctor, but only one of the list of symptoms and outcomes applies to me personally and that is

Forgetting common words when speaking

Very common for me, in English as well as in French.

2 Likes

And I bet that applies to most of us over a certain age, certainly does for me. The only comfort I have is that making the attempt to speak a different language helps set up new neural connexions which is good for the brain and tends to keep dementia away that bit longer.

Two men standing outside an open door where there is a cocktail party going on inside. One says to the other before they go in: “The only name I can remember is Alzheimer’s”

1 Like

It that devil sugar again, building up the plaque in some peoples brains, unless you played contact sports like rugby.

or shook your head violently as a “headbanger” in the heavy metal era (amongst others) :grimacing:

You mean, banging your head in tackles and scrums saves your brain? :astonished:
Sorry, it was the way you said that. :rofl:

Seriously though, I cannot for the life of me understand why all the care now being, very belatedly, taken to protect heads in rugby and football etc., while all the time there is at least one sport allowed which not only is it encouraged to hit the head repeatedly, the whole point is to produce unconsciousness.

But I think it is a bit rich for ex players to be taking the authorities to court over brain damage inflicted during their careers when few knew that it might be a serious problem. Having said that, I started a thread a while back about not watching League anymore precisely because of the way the game is encouraged to be played now.

A point about boxing and the way it has evolved. I believe that the only way the previous bare knuckle fights could go on for hours was because fighters refrained from hitting the head to protect their fists. It would be interesting to know if such old fighters suffered brain damage compared to modern ones. Mind you I think you must have a screw loose somewhere to volunteer your brain for that kind of treatment, I was very relieved when I went to my college (Merchant Navy) that, on joining, I arrived at the time when they discontinued that as a method of defence and started to teach judo. The first thing we were taught was how to break fall, nearly broke my bloody arm with all that mat banging, at least that was not were I kept my brain. :rofl:

1 Like

Robust evidence please

Sure, just be patient as it takes time to go back over the dozens of videos etc I have looked at. Type 3 diabetes as its refered to. Sugar causes nasty inflamation its not historically part of our diet, certainly in the quantities currently consumed.

Sugar and inflammation I get, but onward link to plaque is a touch different.

In fact Jane, just take a google. Stacks of links to dementia and The Startling Link Between Sugar and Alzheimer’s.

And there are page after page.
Thats before I go over the neurosurgeons interviews and research videos.

Discovery of genetic connection between Alzheimer’s and gut disorders……cholesterol….inflammation……

Who funded this, sounds like statin industry?
“high cholesterol can increase permeability of the blood brain barrier, driving up cholesterol levels in the brain”

The blood brain barrier stops body stuff getting to the brain. The brain makes its own cholesterol to ensure it is not polluted from the body. Cholesterol is in every cell we need it to live. The body uses cholesterol to try and plug the gaps in the endethelial layers caused by inflamation from things like sugar, seed oils modified by factories.

But they are saying cholesterol increases permeability in the cells which sounds like bollox.

Research carried out by the Edith Cowan University is funded by all sorts I imagine.

“The Edith Cowan University research theme leaders facilitate research partnerships between Edith Cowan University researchers and industry, government and community organisations.”

If there’s any funny business going on here, I wouldn’t know.

https://www.ecu.edu.au/research/research-themes-and-priority-areas/health

Not pointing a finger obviously but it fly’s in tje face of other research that I have looked at authored by very clever people.
Calcium is also present in cardiovascular events but that drops off the radar because they havent a pill for that.

Understanding the aging of the brain in dogs is helping to understand the aging of our own brains….

https://knowablemagazine.org/article/health-disease/2022/inside-brains-aging-dogs?utm_medium=10today.uk.rd.20220801&utm_source=email&utm_content=article&utm_campaign=10fortoday4.0styling

1 Like