Denied Your Vote in the U.K.?

I was thinking the same Stella, why do they not have the ballot paper style, where a box is ticked, would save a lot of trees

We’ve already had the suggestion that everything should be done on-line (including all the professions of faith, lists of names etc and then the actual voting situation).

Not something which will come in just yet and, in any case, there has to be an alternative to the on-line for those who cannot/prefer not.

Hummm. Interesting point Ann but at the end of the day, there would still be the party papers so all you would be doing is adding another sheet to the bundle :thinking:
I actually like the French way. It’s not the first time of voting here in our 10 years plus in France but saves the nonsense of ‘spoiling’ a vote by having to mark it in some way which some people find ‘difficult’ :roll_eyes:
Having to sign you name against the register is also a good thing IMO with your voting card being marked to indicate you have ‘done your duty’.
The English way seems - a bit ‘archaic’.

I suppose if it works, why change it and there is less chance of a ballot paper being ruined

Wow - much worse than I originally thought.

It’s very disappointing and worrying, and I wonder what went wrong?

We got a reminder (from the Rochford District Council Essex Electoral Office) to renew our voter registration in the early part of 2019. and then got our voting papers by mail the first week in May, with a prepaid envelope to send them back. We did so within a few days, just popping them in a local postbox in Normandy.

After the results were announced I emailed the Voter Registration Officer to check our votes had been included in the poll, and got a confirmatory message next day: they were.

I thought that was impressive, and can’t imagine why there were problems elsewhere.

The problems here for Flo in the UK were that the voter registration forms for the EU elections were not received at home until just a couple of weeks before the date of the vote, with a very short timeframe to get them back to the council. This was done by Flo in time - but where it utterly failed was that the powers that be also required her to fill in another form to declare that she would not be voting in her home country…and they forgot to mention that little point in the original letter or subsequently.

As a result, she had no idea that, despite registering in time, she would still be unable to vote because she hadnt declared that she would not vote in France - and the first she knew of this was when she was turned away at the polling station.

An utter shambles and 3rd rate performance.

This country has gone to the dogs…

The article refers to EU citizens being denied their vote in the UK because Councils didn’t make it clear that two forms were needed.
EU citizens living in the UK had to make a separate declaration that they were not voting in their national elections as well as in UK.

@Jane_Williamson “The article referred…”

Oh I see that now, I was slightly fuddled by the article and read it as applying to UK/EU citizens in France voting in the UK elections to the EU parliament. Confusing, at least to me who is easily muddled*.

*(All together now, “We have noticed!!”) :grinning: