Dental Apointments

Brilliant, a nation made of that pedigree could rule the world!

If the pain becomes unbearable (abscess?) your MD will prescribe you something to help, until you can get to a dentist.

Funnily enough… after I didn’t sleep a wink for worrying about OH… I’ve finally phoned the doc’s surgery today.

I carefully explained to the Receptionist that I didn’t think it was life-threatening but that it was very painful and now stopping him sleeping properly, despite doliprane…
OH reckons he didn’t sleep a wink but I heard him snoring from time to time. :wink: (in between his whimpers…)

Anyway… she was aghast at the delay to see the dentist. Was apologetic that today was fully booked (except for life threatening stuff… when everyone will have to sit and wait while the Doc deals with the emergency.)

She came up trumps… and we are now booked to see our MTraitant tomorrow at 08.45am… so it’s an early alarm… and off we’ll trundle.

yippee…

2 Likes

Isn’t it great having an MT like that? Well done and let’s hope OH receives something appropriate so he can sleep tomorrow…

1 Like

I’ll feel so much better after tomorrow’s visit… I’m hoping for a good night’s sleep too…

2 Likes

enough wine but not too much is my formula :smiley:

1 Like

Just the one… (but who knows how large “the one” is :wink: )

1 Like

There are websites that provide the material used by dentists.
We have a cement for fixing crowns and a dental resin.
Also using Sensodyne toothpaste can sometimes help.

My dentist starts at 8am and has often given me a lunchtime appointment. He also does surgery at a nearby Clinic if general anaesthesia is required. He set up his cabinet with a young colleague and has recently added another fully-fledged dentist, plus a trainee. It’s likely that an appointment will be forthcoming, even if it’s not with the great man himself! For me, the most difficult part is explaining to the receptionist why exactly I need an appointment.

My dentist is great and very good at fitting me in. I learnt years ago though that the only way I’d ever get an appointment was if I made his receptionist my “new best friend”. Wasn’t easy. What helped was having major problems and so for a time I was there week in week out. (I don’t recommend this, but I do recommend making sure the receptionist knows who you are when you phone.)

Sounds good, and does seems to matter how well you know your dentist, or if they take a shine(or polish?) to you.

Our Roumanian dentist’s French receptioniste’s attitude verges on the hostile - if you use French pronounciation, she pretends not to understand, but if you use the local patois, she acts as though you’re some sort of peasant who’s insulting her by speaking like that. Fortunately, the foreign dentist speaks ‘proper’ French and English very well, and if we go on Saturdays or at lunchtime, the receptioniste isn’t there.

Saw our Doc this morning… and only 20 minutes late…
Good grief, the poor man looks tired already.

I asked about Dentist shortages and he become very serious as he explained that doctors/dentists/all health personnel are in short supply and under extreme strain due to Covid and its “fall-out”.

As well as covering patients’ requirements in his surgery and home visits … he’s been vaccinating outside his working hours at the local vax centre… trying to get as many done as possible.
He explained that he had to stop doing the vax project at the end of last week, due to exhaustion.
“But I feel I must begin again… it is so important.
Next week I will be back on the vax project, along with my colleagues.”

Poor man… we’ve known him for so long, through thick and thin.
His smile is still there, but his face is drawn and his eyes do not twinkle as they used to.

(OH now has the necessary to tide him over until he can see the dentist 3rd August)

1 Like

Good idea! I tried this, and it did work for a charmed length of time. But I think my best friend has now been promoted, and now, even if she answers the phone, she passes you to someone lower in the pecking order who doesn’t listen and has no empathy whatsoever. Sigh!

Shame!

1 Like

We have a wonderful young dentist that is English and moved here when he was 2. He is in St Astier if anyone is looking in this area (24). Very gentle, kind, empathetic and all the work he’s done on us has been excellent.

Same for us in North 22, my crown fell off five weeks ago and it’s only today I’ve managed to get cancellation appointment to hopefully get it stuck back on. It’s in a small village nearby (18km) as in our own small town there is just one practice with four dentists and they won’t take on new patients, not even operating a waiting list.
Similar for opthalmology (not for reading test) a nine months wait, but exactly opposite for doctor, an appointment in 36 hours and he spends 20 minutes on check up even when it’s only for repeat prescription.

We must be very lucky here. Our MT can usually fit us in within 48 hours. Dentist is brilliant - he has a very modern surgery after the old one was destroyed in the October 2018 floods here. For regular checkups, we get the next appointment booked automatically when we go. Not had to go for an emergency yet :crossed_fingers:but others say he is very accomodating when it’s needed. Just booked an RDV with an ophtalmologue for mid October and could have got an earlier one if we had wanted. There are obviously very large differences in different areas.

Edit: As an aside, in the 80’s I had a wonderful dentist when I lived in mid west Wales. I once had an emergency travelling back from Devon by train. It was a Saturday night and my oh phoned him from Shrewsbury station at 9PM. He met us at the station in Aberystwyth some time after 10pm, took us by car to his surgery, opened up and treated me.

2 Likes