DFDS Ferry from Dover to Calais

That’s not the issue. The UK is now a third country, and is treated in exactly the same manner as any other third country. That’s all.

1 Like

No. They’re simply abiding by the terms of the agreement made between the UK and the EU. It’s just that the UK is choosing not to implement many parts of the agreement.

Used DFDS both ways in the last week; excellent service and staff, food in self service OK. The ferries themselves seem newish.
Getting into the ports and out again was easy but you have to keep your eyes open to get into the correct lane as the high trucks can hide the lane signs.
Customs no problem at all going but returning they were waiting at the exit to the port and pulled someone over.

They also do Newhaven Dieppe. Fabulous as you miss the very north / Paris ect. Friends just did it on our recommendation and were very pleased!

I hope they are now recovered and also hope it was a missed opportunity for you to fulfil a long held desire to get infected. It really is not nice to get no matter how mildly.

As our great leaders seem to adopt that approach is it any wonder? That said the science doesnt seems to support the rules put in place which was really where I was heading.

I will find out as it just the other day.
The numbers are up everywhere and so are hospital admissions, right up with the high peaks of the past.

You might well be talking about UK… on which I cannot comment.

However, if I recall correctly… France has acted on the advice of its senior medical folk…
Can’t really fault them for that…

Now please dont take this the wrong way but as we can witness it hasnt made any difference the virus has not read the memo. Early on it did make sense as we just didnt know but after that…
Christine le garde, finance minister, all her money off shore to avoid paying the taxes she expects everyone of her fellow countryman to pay… They are all the same.

Well no, just enforcing the rules for non EU people.

2 Likes

Head of IMF based in Washington for 10 years and now of the European Central Bank based in Frankfurt. Why would she pay her taxes in France?

4 Likes

I’ve been following the French side of things quite closely.
I’ve seen the French Santé experts give their thoughts and advice… and then seen the govt tackle how to follow said advice.
When the French Santé folk advised a change in procedure/whatever… this happened.
We could see figures going up… going down… according to the procedures in place and their enforcement.
Certainly, it’s been a learning curve… for Santé experts and for everyone of us… and the measures advised and followed have been annoying/difficult… and not always as successful as wished.

However, not following French Santé expert advice could well have been totally wrong… and meant gambling with lives… which was a step too far for the govt, from what I’ve read/heard in their broadcasts.
I can’t really see how they could have done things much differently…

(and I know people who still tell me that covid is all a govt plot :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:)

as I say… I’m not talking about UK or any other countries… each to their own.

3 Likes

From memory it was when she was based in the EU/France which is why it made headlines.

Yes indeed, with hindsight etc and it has been facinating to see how each country has faired and also alternate views. I dont see many doing doing things much differently and in the UK the office of national statistics data shows an interesting story.
As I said from the start we are not bamboozled by figures of death from cancer, heart disease and diabetes in the same way as covid yet they still kill more each day than covid did. Just look now as BA5 runs around without lock downs and enforcement orders banning travel outside your commune (applies both sides of channel).

I don’t know the death figures for those diseases… but I do know that people are laid-low/killed by covid which they catch (who knows how) as it spreads throughout the population… not at all the same as cancer, diabetes, heart disease…

I think this is why the high death rate from covid is frightening/worrying/whatever… it’s something one catches… and it kills.

1 Like

I believe the frightening thing with any disease is how fast it takes people. Plenty have weeks and months with cancers and heart attacks dont announce their arrival, but they take a lot more people than covid ever will. As you say you dont know the numbers for those but you do for covid. Why? Media and Government attention? Frightening people who can do little about covid but the others are just an accepted part of life maybe even though they cost Governments and health services millions if not billions, funny old world. My
GP recounting my chlolestrol the other day and offering advice, I asked them what their cholesterol was and they havent tested it hahaha. Promissed to though and we’ll discus theirs next time. This is a very nice open minded GP and it was a humerous discussion.

I think you might have misunderstood…
covid is a virus(?) which is contagious
cancer, diabetes, heart-disease are not contagious…

I find the contagious one more worrying, simply because so many folk are not bothering with the simple gestures which have been proved to help/work/reduce contagion.

No not really misunderstood, just casting an eye over mortality rates and whilst we have been frightened by covid still pails when compared to the others but no public information film every night. I know some on their 3rd bought of covid fully vacinated and the variant goes straight passed it and not much in the immunity as they catch it about 5 weeks after the previous bought so yes vulnerable need to keep protected and away from high risk situations just as they needed to right from the start but the rest of us are (UK) just carrying on as normal.

I suspect the “public information film every night” is so that folk can follow what is happening and perhaps/hopefully decide to do the “right thing” to help reduce contagion.

Absolutely, just think if they did that for the other things people commonly die of or get seriously ill from (these things affect families not just the individual) maybe at least some would change their ways. Problem is that might mean upsetting the processed food manufacturers at least France seems to take a firmer stance than the up for hire UK conservatives party. Although I suspect other parties could be similar once they gain power. It is one of the more endearing things about France.