Did you get your chimney swept? - Reminder

Yes, well, it would probably work out that lighting the fire would cost more in sweeping fees than in fuel which is a bit nuts.

I’d agree that I’m not burning ideal fuel so possibly there will be more soot deposition but a cheminée which was actually being used for heating is probably in continuous use during the coldest 3-4 months of the year, maybe 100-120 days compared with quite literally 3 or four in our case.

It was done for the sale and it’s on the to-do list for this year. Assuming we do organise it then it will be doing rather better than the chimney at home which I think we’ve had done about every five years (we don’t use that one much either).

BTW it’s Paul - I’ve never been entirely clear why people insist on calling me Phil, but it seems to be a random thing that happens.

Now I can agree with you on that. Once a year is a low user, regular permanent dwellers may need it more frequently. If you have one of the poor performing fires left to burn overnight you should have the chimney inspected and if required cleaned more often.

Who has a chimney guard to prevent birds nesting?

I am fortunate to live in the middle of the village… so when the Sweep comes, he does several properties on the same visit… which costs each of us a little less. (of course, this has to be arranged in advance, but easy-peasy) :grinning:

For any of you with neighbours… have you considered doing this ?? It must surely be worth asking the question…

1 Like

Great idea. I will be living in the middle of the village, too, so to speak. It might be a good excuse to have a conversation about this with neighbors. Thanks.

always useful to have a topic (and a dictionary)… most neighbours will be welcoming and will appreciate you making an effort to fit-in.

1 Like

On another tack… @MaryW we also get together to buy CH oil. no idea if this is of interest to you… many villages/neighbours are doing this sort of thing now…

1 Like

Does that save much money?

Hi there… in a nutshell… yes… we negotiate with the local supplier. We have about a dozen householders in our little buying circle… but not everyone wants oil at the same time.

500 litres is always more expensive per litre than, say 1000 litres. and when we are ordering anything from 2000 to 6000 litres for the same-day delivery… the price per litre drops considerably. (some of our folk can only afford to buy in smaller quantities 250 litres for example).

1 Like

Brilliant idea, I am the only one with fioul here though ! Mostly wood burners or thermal heating otherwise .

Our circle includes the Mairie and the school… :slight_smile:

1 Like

for anyone who fancies sweeping their own chimmneys (either as only source of cleaning or as top-up between professional sweeps) brico-prive have poele vacuums at just under half price at the moment.

https://www.bricoprive.com/7970667-aspirateur-de-cendres/559798-aspirateur-de-cendres-pro-900-w-secoueur-de-filtre-cuve-metal-20-l-8016287515856.html
(you may need to register and log-in)

1 Like

I can confirm… that this sort of gadget is excellent and saves the dust going everywhere… as it does when I use a brush and dustpan…

The only thing is the hose is not very long… and I have to balance the ashes-container on a coffee table when I want to clean the top of the stove… (so I don’t do that very often) :wink:

but for cleaning the ashes out of the fire and around the fireplace… yep… can’t beat it.

1 Like

yup I got one from brico marche 2 months ago its ace. I still have my metal bucket and shovel.

All clean and swept…

Looking very cosy and inviting there Stella, especially with the awful weather that is here !

Yep… feeling just great :relaxed: … ghastly outside, wet and miserable… this winter has been very strange.

Winter 2018/2019 might be descending on us soon… (or on some of us)…

Just a reminder to check that chimney is clean etc…

The sweep came to the village earlier this week…and, thankfully, we were at home and got our chimbley done and dusted… :relaxed:

Makes me “almost” look forward to the cold spell threatened for this weekend… :thinking::grin::wink:

You didn’t give him the brush off then! :kissing:

:relaxed::relaxed::relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:

He and his wife are like friendly garden gnomes… all rounded and with happy smiling faces and woolly hats… they are delightful and very thorough.

Afterwards… he completes the paperwork… and asks his wife if it is all done correctly… only after her nod of approval… does he hand over the bill/attestation… :relaxed::relaxed:

The lady sweep here charges 50 euros for a small chimney and 60 euros for the giant Berrichone ones :fire::fire: