Did you get your chimney swept? - Reminder

For the future, if I were you, next time I strike up a conversation with the neighbours I would ask for their recommendation for a chimney sweep then suggest that if you used the same one it might be convenient if you used the same one. It wouldn’t be much of a step to suggest the same day would be even better and if, perhaps, you weren’t there they may be willing…

Also not leaving it so late in the year when, as demonstrated on here people are now thinking about it. It just has to be done each year, not necessarily before winter. :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s a good idea :slight_smile:

Also sage advice :slight_smile:

The problem is partly the fatal one of applying UK expectations, where I could probably find a sweep to do the job tomorrow, to France - where as we have observed so many times, things swing to a different rhythm.

I now have a back-up plan - more googling and there is a service based in Vannes which actually has on-line booking. While that confirms I’m almost certainly not going to get it done next week (the dates offered start in December) I should be able to book a sweep to coincide with a visit in December or January. I shouldn’t need the fire next week.

I managed to do my 3 chimneys about a month ago. Always a DIY job, not difficult, saves money and I know it’s OK.

3 chimneys would certainly make the DIY route more appealing.

How do you “certify” the job?

I don’t, but if the chimneys are clean, there won’t (or very unlikely) be a fire. Anyway, its a bit of a myth that you need a “certificate”, theres nothing in my insurance policy, or with the previous company, that says it’s a requirement.

Mark, I contacted our insurers and confirmed DIY is ok, they just asked me to log when I have done it. Again unlikely to be a chimney fire if it’s done but they would almost certainly look at the build up of creosote if there were a fire to reason out if I had done it regularly. Sometimes I forget practical tasks that are second nature to me are beyond others.

2 Likes

Same here been cleaning our own chimneys for the last 30 years, have always checked with our insurance company to see that it is not a requirement, don’t think many insist on it these days.
Always keep a log on the dates that I do them like John Withall writes.

Actually our UK chimney sweep was contacted at the beginning of September and couldn’t come for 2 weeks. I think the popularity of wood burners and the decline of sweeps has caused a gap in the market.

Well, with luck I have booked a sweep for our New Year visit. On the language front organised in French, without recourse to a dictionary but by text not spoken.

I know that, this time, the problem is less the lack of notice and more that I would like it done Christmas week but it was still fairly hard to find someone who was available with a fair few enquiries not even eliciting a reply. In the end someone did get back in touch saying they couldn’t do it themselves and giving me another contact number which has come up trumps. The catch is that I have absolutely no idea who I have contracted to do the job :fearful: Googling the (mobile) number I was given comes up scratch.

They are being slightly cagey about a devis - citing “it depends on the type, lining etc” - and the 89€ they have quoted is, as far as I know, distinctly over the odds.

I don’t like coming out of negotiations feeling so obviously the looser but beggars and choosers etc.

I need to be more organised next year and the DIY route is getting more and more appealing.

Paul… 89euro… mmm… not so far out of sync in my opinion… and they do not know for certain what they will find on-site…

I’ve just checked my bill 70 euro… but a reduced price as the sweep did a special offer… 4 neighbouring properties on the same morning… :grin: and he knows the chimneys and fires…

If you like to private message me with the mobile number… I can do some research…just a thought…

The last bill (admittedly Nov 2014) was 55€ and I found a place which does online bookings which also says 55€. They aren’t taking bookings over Christmas though.

To be honest I’m not terribly worried about paying a bit over the odds given that they can come out when I need them to. I would  be slightly annoyed if it turns out I’ve accidentally organised it on the black but hopefully they are legit. I’m mostly pleased that I have found someone to do the job without waiting for the Spring.

Mmmm, might take you up on that.

1 Like

Make sure you get a proper invoice… hand over no cash/cheque until you have checked the paperwork…:thinking:

1 Like

Good advice.

1 Like

check your Messages…

Yes, just have :slight_smile:

Chimney Sweep here, totally professional, during sweeping she discovered a fault in a new neighbours chimney liner that could have led to a fire. She noted on the form for the householder that it must be replaced as it’s dangerous.
Also found out that another neighbour’s new chimney flue had been incorrectly installed.
No benefit to her whatsover as she doesn’t install chimneys, is quite capable but prefers not to.
She charges 50 euros for a small chimney and 60 euros for a whopper. Worth her weight in gold!

1 Like

As indeed am I :rofl:

Seems a bit expensive??..

That’s not a whopper, in my part of France that would be a mini- scule ! :rofl: