Different types of expats

There is a connection between language and culture; some say an integral connection where they are like the chicken and the egg. Perhaps the willingness on one person’s part to relinquish their ‘Englishness’ is actually the commitment to total immersion and complete aculturation. On the other hand, since one can never be totally French, having been born ‘outre mer’, than it is largely an intellectual exercice to remain entirely in the French culture, language and all. What is spoken at home depends on the the language of one’s spouse, as well. I think it is an interesting question; just at what point does language intertwine so entirely with culture that they really are the same thing.

Our neighbour translates books from English to French and almost refuses to speak English with us. We have to have a total breakdown of communication to force her to use her English. I find this very strange as she uses “our” language to enable her to mnake a living!

I’ve had dozens of mainly business people attacking me about the UK’s position within Europe - made a change from technical/industrial and business English to go off into economics but I’ve never heard anyone ask that one before, not even from my mother-in-law :open_mouth:

I’ve had French people ask me why American still doesn’t use the Euro…

Small world innit! I ran an evening class in Langueux too, played squash for the club in St Brieuc…

Blimey - we were round those parts in 2002.

There’s a challenge! I’ll keep an eye open…

No rural France is very different to inner city France but I whole heartedly agree with your observations! Loudeac, now here’s a really long shot. I taught English at St Ilan near St Brieuc back in 2001/2002 and went to Loudeac with a certain Mickaël easy to spot, he’s black as is his Dad and his Mum’s white - I think they’re the only coloured people in Loudeac. If you ever see him late 20s early 30s, say hello from Andrew - his old English assistant and friend :wink:

merci et à +

Toutes mes chaleureuse félicitations.

I am very uncomfortable with your description of the first group to which I unashamedly belong, especially after spending the last week in the UK. On our first day we drove from Portsmouth to Sheffield, 2pm to 6.30pm and both believe we saw more cars and lorries than we had seen ALTOGETHER in France since our last visit in March. The roads in my native city are unbelievably potholed, the traffic regulation quite ridiculous, the litter indescribable, the vandalism to public property intolerable. Prices in shops, especially fuel, alcohol, meat, and much more, have risen steeply in the year we have been here. We are not stupid, we know it is not like rural France in Paris, Lyon, Rennes or wherever but before our move we lived in Blandford, same size, pop etc as Loudeac and Dorset is now overcrowded, over trafficked and under policed. Loudeac with it’s dual carriageways, smooth, well maintained road, absence of parking charges, friendly people and absence of crime, vandalism and litter leaves us with no other conclusion than that which James appears to deride, namely, the UK is going down the plughole…Vive la vie en France!

She’s cute, and does the dumb act really well :wink:

I feel an affinity with the arabs in france - I’m not French, my OH and kids are, but my life is here NOT in England, that’s just where I happened to be born. As you say it’s a very humbling experience and one that everyone should experience a little of. My mother still can’t understand why I’ve changed so much and do everything differently - fortunately she only visits once every couple of years max and drives us round the bend with “well why don’t you/they just do it like it is in the UK…” AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH !!!

yep anything’s better than nothing, but if it’s nothing it’s better to admit it :wink:

Having taught in various schools in France I’m still waiting for an English teacher to actually speak to me in English! One, who’s a friend uses the excuse that now she’s headmistress she doesn’t teach anymore so doesn’t use it/can’t remember enough - at least she’s honest!

brilliantly stupid, I remember a documentary about an american family holidaying in the UK - they bought as much food as they could as people had told them the english survived on eating squirrels etc but the funiest was their face when they found out that that the uK doesn’t use american dolars “doesn’t the whole world use them? I didn’t know there was any other sort of money!”

It’s an interesting situation to be the minority, as English in France, no matter the specific local environment. It’s not for some our nature to endure what amounts to be humility; in not being the dominant majority. I actually think it is healthy to be put into the role where, in order to best adapt, we need to observe and listen, and at least try to relax about certain things.

As often as not, the French spoken amongst this group “What France?!” tends more towards Franglais and a pastiche of English words spoken with a slight accent (challENge, for example). But I shouldn’t caricature too badly since I know I still struggle with the language after so many years of trying. There are many levels to the idea of fluency, and really any effort is better than none. That is why I suppose it is amusing to hear statements such as, “my french is very good, but I’m a perfectionist and won’t speak until its perfect.”

@tom - “like” button :wink:

@catharine “ha, ha, ha, like” button

Unfortunately it’s so true. I seem to remember often hearing in the UK “… and all those Indians/Pakistanies who live here and can’t speak English, what’s more they stink of curry, why don’t they eat the same food as us, if they want to live in England then they should bloody well…”

Funny really because I’m sure a lot of them are now over here and in Tom’s group :open_mouth:

I was once asked (totally seriously)

“Do they speak French in France?”

Nice thoughts.

There might be another group, largely fitting the description of ‘What France?!’ The happy but clueless members of this group are not entirely aware that in fact this is not England, even though their general conduct would leave you wondering, considering the company they keep and trades people they hire (from across the Channel) and dietary preferences that still haunt them.