Do catholics have a sense of humour?

haha....think we are both arguing from the same standpoint Celeste...I wasnt offended....really.....your pile of jokes just made it sound like you were trying to offend...I was amazed by the number of people who were offended by the advert...which I see no problem with.....ditto...your jokes....I guess I dont do PC and having worked years with social services I am sick to the back teeth of walking on egg shells....bring it on I say....!

Kerry, "highly catholic countries like Ireland" reflects the Ireland of thirty to forty years ago. Things have changed completely.

I guess Conor a lapsed Catholic is still a Catholic :-) What do the Jesuits say..... 'Give me the child for his first seven years, and I'll give you the man'? I'm a product of the somewhat less effective (thank goodness) though no less expensive Marist Fathers regime and and thus an ex-Catholic (should that be a recovering Catholic?). I don't think the advertisement was offensive, it was just a joke. On the other hand I wouldn't try the same joke on a certain other religion, not even in cartoon form.

Mark, I presume the vehicle in question was a used Kübelwagen ;-)

I agree.....obviously the Muslim world didnt though Celeste, as a complete aside to the topic here....if you get the chance to go and see Midnights Children...the film...do go....one of the best films Ive ever seen...really superb...

I hope it is a fiat lux with papal bull-bars ;-)

You sound rather cross and I assume all the English jokes are to offend Mark? Im not offended by your jokes and Im not offended by Marks advert....what does that tell you?

Like!

Which ever faith was offended, I agree it was cowardly to pull the play. Its not unlike the whole business with Salman Rushdie....amazing how we Brits cope with The Life of Brian and happily laugh at it....but some outsiders are unable to deal with laughing at their religion....maybe it should be a requirement of moving to the UK!

I have read numerous articles recently about the present Pope and a couple intimating that once he steps down and is an 'ordinary' person again, there may well be legal action taken against him for protecting priests who were known to have carried out abuse on children.....now that is certainly not funny.

Thank God for some sanity! well said Gordon....Monty Python was brilliant...Life of Brian stonkingly funny.... I am beyond fed up with all of this foot stamping intolerance...we are not children, we do not have to throw a wobbly when something isnt quite to our liking....really...there are more important things in the world than an advert poking gentle fun at the Pope....good job some of us havent had a humour bypass.

A lot of posts here about catholic guilt and there is no doubt some room for some. "Shurely" protestants are meant to feel guilty too? Maybe however every body these days feels entirely satisfied with the way they have led their own lives. Is that what we used to call self satisfaction? For myself I have to put my hand up for a few indiscretions.

Really? All this time there was me thinking I spoke English. So Conor was being humorous, whilst Mark was being offensive? I think I must go and have a quiet lie-down in a dark room as I thought it was the other way round.

'Normal banter' in this manner when I was young would definitely have been regarded as worthy of chastisement (probably physical) but then again I was an 'oik' so what would I know?

Thanks for enlightening me, sounds awfully like brainwashing doesn't it? Following the recurring scandals in the Church, do you think this is what might have had something to do with the Pope's resignation?

Not even mildly offensive in my opinion. I'm sure some people are too preoccupied looking for offence to be taken even when not meant.

Is it offensive to suggest that someone is too sensitive or too preoccupied????

Very interesting Veronique and thought provoking.

I think we know what “quirky” looks like on a page (even when spelt incorrectly Celeste) so no lectures please! Conor is definitely someone I would avoid at a party…does that make it easier to grasp that I might actually know my own mind?!

LOVED your advert. So many people need a sense of humour implant. They can be found here, at bargain prices

www.poperesignsbecausetherewasnogodafterall.com

just because people are offended doesn't make them in the right. they have the right to be offended - you have the right not to care.

No, not inappropriate at all - in fact it made me laugh! Lighten up people!

totally agree! Well said.