Do I have a problem my car is sounding like a sewing machine?

Or one of these

5 Likes

I am saving all these tips for if it happens again. As I said took it to the mechanic and it drove like a dream, could not find anything wrong with it, he drove fast slow around corners even on a bumpy road, perfect behaviour.

Must remember that

1 Like

Except it’s now perfectly behaved. The mechanic had no idea what I was talking about even with Google translate he had never heard a describe like that!

Wasnt it someone like Ferdinand Porsche who a vw beetle sounded like a knackered old stone crusher?

1 Like

I think youve lost the thread.

2 Likes

Yes, John button holed it there.

2 Likes

Makes sense thank you

Sew far sew good :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

When cars were beautiful works of art rather than the homogenised computer designed aggressive-looking monstrosities of today!

1 Like

Yes that does needle me a bit.

I think we’ve stitched this topic up

I still see a little bit of loose thread

Glad the issue was finally unpicked.

1 Like

I am so glad Sandi got their car fixed, must have felt hemmed in without it.

I’ve got a headache :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Thats what comes of bobbin in and out of a thread.

1 Like

Both from personal experience :slight_smile:

• sewing machine noise could be ‘no oil’. (of course, not the only reason). That required a rebuild of the Porsche engine. In mitigation the engine was in a Seat Malaga. It was a great car and I’d taken my eye off the ball of checking it regularly.

• timing belt going was more like a belt of bullets feeding through a machine gun. Much more clattery than a sewing machine. Company bmw on the M23, clatter clatter on a light acceleration then complete loss of power. Luckily it was a company car and I was squeaky clean. As it was a Known Problem on the A320, and it was already booked in for the service due in 500 miles where unbeknownst to me BMW service instructions were to change the belt early on that service pre-emptively.

I’ll add another couple of guesses to your sewing machine noise, having mostly driven bangers: a temporarily seized windscreen wiper motor ? possible intermittent water pump issue pending failure?

A dry rattle, not severe, in the engine heard, possibly only slightly, in the motor noise when running could be early big end going (bad, bad news) but unfortunately noises for this seem to maybe not appear or not be consistent.

I did appreciate the suggestions and also the jokes :rofl:

Local to me. Sourdeval, now Barenton. Shane Colvin is an excellent independent local mechanic, just north of Mortain. Courtesy vehicle, breakdown, pre CT inspection, servicing, repairs etc and occasional home visits if necessary (not sure the last still applies but visited and sorted my lights out for first CT and registration in 2020 but his business has grown since). Used several times. Prices sound and excellent service.