Do I need this?

Fran I’m tagging @graham he should be able to talk you through what to do. Did the video help?

1 Like

There have been numerous issues with CCleaner during the last few years.
Recommend that you uninstall it.

These links will explain further:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-ccleaner-safe-to-use-in-windows-10-revisited/d3903013-4c92-46df-a027-6a186beeaa52

if you have a DVD player on your laptop, it’s usually easier to use that than a USB stick imo.
I think the OP will be more comfortable with that.
@Lily DM me and I’ll send you a bootable DVD with ubuntu 20.04.3 installed on it.

2 Likes

Thanks for this. I’ve been using CCleaner, the free version, for years. Are you able to suggest an alternative please?
Thanks
Izzy x

Nigel-at-BUF-House I have been using CCleaner for at least 15 years and never had a problem with it but ymmv of course, the articles you mention are quite old and the Windows 10 article is just MS trying to market their own product.
I do not say that CCleaner is the best product for computer junk cleaning, I also use Glary Utilities alongside it but I just wanted to give Fran24 a choice/alternative to actually installing a whole new operating system like Ubuntu which is, in my opinion, not as easy to use as Windows to which she is more accustomed to.

1 Like

In my view, if using Windows 10, a 3rd party cleaner is unnecessary.

Windows has its own built-in disk cleaner:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/disk-cleanup-in-windows-10-8a96ff42-5751-39ad-23d6-434b4d5b9a68

Most (all?) internet browsers have the capability to delete cookies and history.

BTW, none of the enterprise sized IT departments that I worked in for the last 10 years or so, found in necessary to include any 3rd party cleaner in their standard PC builds.

That’s really helpful. Thank you. I will do this and delete Ccleaner.
Izzy x

sorry, but absolute tosh!
It is the application software which most users interface with, not the OS. In the majority of cases, users will restrict themselves to a web browser like Firefox - no difference using FF under ubuntu. Other than that, Office type applications which as has already been said, LibreOffice serves very well and indeed imports existing MS documents seamlessly.
As for the OS itself, the front end of ubuntu is no more complex for the average end user than windoze - indeed, in many cases, it is less complicated and indeed aeons more secure. Updates from Canonical take moments to install - many done in the background without the need for a reboot and when a reboot is called for, in general terms, the system is back up and running in double quick time.
As for windoze - plug and play all day by all means but Linux ubuntu Desktop is a mature capable operating system supported by enthusiasts and the learning curve migrating to it from the dreadful windoze experience is not the difficult experience you are making it out to be :wink:
Now, on the other hand, Linux server is certainly for the purists and propeller heads but in essence no different to what MSDOS was in the past but be clear, that is not the OS being suggested to Fran24.

2 Likes

Absolute tosh!..
I seem to have irked you Graham, quite clearly you are a Linux guru/fanboy and actually I do agree that Linux is a proficient alternative to Windows.
It was not my intention to upset anyone (and perhaps I should have kept my thoughts to myself) with my suggestion I just thought CCleaner might be a simple solution to the problems Fran24 has been experiencing. I could be wrong, often am and quite possibly/probably CCleaner will not solve her problems but, despite what others have said, it is safe, simple to install and try, easily removed if it doesn’t work, free and as a first instance a lot more simple than installing a new OS and possibly having to run any Windows software Fran24 may have through an emulator like Wine particularly as she describes herself as a ‘technical numpty’, I didn’t expect to be berated for it.
Oh I forgot to mention that I actually use Ubuntu albeit the server version on my NAS.

apologies for calling you a propeller head then :slightly_smiling_face:
Since you use ubuntu you will know its benefits and a good choice, if I may say, for your NAS.
Just to be clear about the reasoning behind my post - the simple fact is that the underlying OS should be transparent to the user in the majority of cases and indeed it is with most commercial grade applications like Firefox and Chromium but you can’t escape the fact that with windoze, there is an underlying flaw in the safety and security elements which require the installation of so called “bloatware” to overcome these which in turn tend to slow the system down and cause other issues which are not present within Linux. The whole file structure is different as you know and whilst I used CC as of necessity when I was a windoze user and supported clients on that platform, their systems (as were mine) were severely hampered in the day by the constant need for “maintenance” such as defragging tools from which I earned well.
Time has moved on and consumers are, thankfully, much more aware of what is going on behind the scenes and, quite rightly, are looking to alternatives like ubuntu with its plentiful choices of good quality FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) from which to select - and I admit to that as a past author of commercial software.
If you read my comments as terse, then you misunderstood. You should know that Fran24 is already “on board” as it were with the prospect of a move to ubuntu and the last thing she needs now is the placement of doubt in her mind about her exciting choice.
My comments were aimed mainly at others who may view this later and be seeking guidance on which way to turn and the alternatives available.
On a final note, I am not keen on using windoze emulators like Wine which seems in my current experience to relate mainly to the gaming fraternity in Linux. I subscribe and contribute to a ubuntu Q&A resource and incredibly most of the issues people have are associated with dual booting ubuntu with windoze or using Wine.
I have retained an old laptop with an early version of windoze on it (which rarely sees the light of day these days) just for old times sake and on those rare occasions when I venture in to that dark place I’m very happy when closing the lid and returning to my ubuntu desktop - not unlike those rare excursions in to the dark depths of that small insignificant island off the coast of Europe when, on my return to France, I can breathe a sigh of relief at being “home” :wink:

Guys, as @Porridge pointed out, @Lily seemed to misunderstood what ‘Linux’ was. It seems clear to me that she thought that it was a replacement for AVG. I’m not sure that she really wanted to overwrite her existing Windows installation with Linux. If you encourage her to do this, you may just cause her many problems, especially if she doesn’t realise that her Windows OS will permanently disappear along with all her existing apps and other files.

@hairbear Thanks for your contribution but I’ve been exchanging PMs with @Lily over the past few days and she is totally aware of the implications and that ubuntu is not a replacement for AVG but a replacement for her Operating System and will replace windoze.
She is also very much aware that she needs to save important files she wants to retain as this has been outlined in detail to her by me.
She is also aware that the DVD winging it’s way to her has the option of “Try ubuntu” without altering anything on her system (which is standard practice and a beneficial feature of ubuntu) so she can see for herself before she commits to it. Only then will she make her mind up as to which route to take and that will be done under direct guidance.
@Lily has my personal email address and with that, I’m out of this conversation.

1 Like

Important to recognise bias applies to operating systems - Windows, Linux, MacOs, etc… and each of them has it’s own fanboys and gurus. Each operating system has it’s good and bad points.

2 Likes

I have all the help I need now, thank you.

2 Likes