Do the French really love M&S?

went to the new M&S yesterday in Levallois and spent a fortune on sausages bacon but they didn't have any jellies which my french grandchildren adore!Never mind I can get these in superU in Vaucresson but I must add that the food hall was full of french people and the mens department was busy too but ,Oh my god the ladies department was empty and no wonder the clothes are still awfull no style and so dull even the cachmire sweaters colouyr were ghastly and Monoprixs are far better!!Dis a pointed about not finding cox orange apples which are impossible to find around Paris and when I was in Normandy last week the markets were selling them.Has any one know an adress in Paris for these delicious apples??

We run chambres d'hotes and I put out a range of spreads on the sideboard for people to choose something a bit different to put on their baguette if they wish, includng marmite (which I bring back from UK being too expensive in local shops). Most french people stick to the butter and jam on the table but recently a young French couple stayed and he pounced on the marmite saying"Ooh, I love zis!" and proceeded to persuade his girlfirend to try some . . . needless to say, she hated it!!! So very definitely a love it / hate it couple, as are myself (love it) and my husband (hate it).

Well I’m terribly excited about the M&S stores opening.
But there again I have (no pun intended) a vested interest.

I think it's because the shops provide those huge rolls at Xmas and stroppy teenagers to wrap if for a price.

I prefer to buy my own and get my own stroppy teenagers to do the wrapping :)

If you can find a shop that does 'articles de fete' - they often have reasonably priced rolls too. No cards though!

by 'they' I didn't mean M&S - meant France in general - which I don't understand as people do wrap up gifts but why are the tiny rolls of shiny paper so expensive? I know cards are a British tradition so can understand those being expensive but Gift Wrap?

M&S also do an M&S.fr website now too with free delivery when you spend 35 euro!

I wonder if they'll do 3 for 2 on wrapping paper & Xmas cards - they are horrifically priced for decent stuff in France.

All of my French friends have been incredibly excited about the Paris M&S opening. But that could just be the knickers!

My Breton friends "know nothing" and fear anything from outside Brittany let alone France! However I have introduced a select few to curry and a few other more adventurous things but in fact we don't really do British food anyway. Yes we have Marmite, Branston, some chutneys and sometimes English bacon and cheddar but we not addicted to a British regime! However we have surprised quite a few visitors with inventive food, and wine, from around the world. Local produce remains a firm favourite!

We used to have an M&S in Toulouse. About the only things worth buying were the teabags and the Christmas Crackers. No wonder they pulled out.

My french neighbour (and her kids) are right into marmite and diminishing my stocks!