Do they speak any English?

Happening to us at the moment.

I would guess that the ratio of helpful pleasant:unhelpful arrogant people that I’ve met while settling into France must be well over 30:1. In general the people that I’ve dealt with have been patient and understanding, the difficult, unhelpful variety are in the small minority. Is this any different to living anywhere else? Perhaps I’ve been lucky in where I’ve chosen to live but I think that that is only part of it.

I have some sympathy for Simon's views. I have owned property in France since 1972. My grandfather lived and worked in Paris in the 1890s. I have lived here permanently for about ten years. I'm in numerous local and national associations and have stood (but unsuccessfully) for our council twice. Last time I got about 30% of the votes. We do have quite a few Brits in the commune and not all speak French well. Mine is OK and I can hold my own but I have a vicious British accent (pretty vicious in English too). I can read French and I understand most French TV and radio. I read a French newspaper. I have tons of French friends. But, but, but you will always find the odd local neanderthal who verbalises his hate for the English in venomous bile, why the English should go home in no uncertain terms, how they never learn French language or seek to engage in their culture. I have suffered a few such personal attacks from such creatures (in fact several fom one usually drunk example). Sometimes I have made the mistake of trying to help out locals and then finding out by doing so I have unwittingly trodden on a rather nasty pat, thus unleashing a spew of vitriol. I suppose that you can find such people everywhere in the world, it's just that when it's very close it sometimes does rather cloud the enjoyment of life.

Pete I think many people moving to France fully intend to improve or perfect their French - at least initially before they have the stuffing knocked out of them.

The problem comes when some of them are met with utter intolerance, impatience and rudeness at their attempts. I witness it all the time - normally emphasised by a 'pafff' and Gallic shrug (as well as the contorted / constipated face of course!). Rarely do you come across anyone actually willing to persevere and help - and most certainly not in the administration - all too full of their own self-importance and perceived power. It's such a confidence knocker for those who really are trying.

It's almost as if living in France means you should be able to speak perfect French from the outset - again the 'you're in France, speak French' attitude seems to prevail. To me it just comes across as arrogant and unfriendly - god forbid they should positively interact with a foreigner - they might catch something!

As a complete aside, and I'm not sure why this springs to mind, but I just love pretending I've never heard of Johnny Hallyday. It normally provokes utter consternation at village fetes..as if I've been living on another planet.......:-)

Err they are French people who speak French... if you are planning to move here then I suggest you have the courtesy to learn the language! I can recommend PLEASEHELP.FR (see their thread on this site} who provide services in English and can help you through any admin issues.

My wife went to England once and was horrified to find that no one would/could speak her language, French. I've been to Poland and Czech Republic a few times and found that I couldn't understand a word they were saying. Funny old world, isn't it, where people insist on speaking their own native languages rather than learning foreign ones for the sake of lazy old foreigners.

Ooh nasty, close to the nail that one. Let's see. Acton Town!

Turnpike Lane, see how you deal with that!

Not even the slightest bit funny Tobias! :-(

Willsden Junction,

What was the topic again?

The obvious move would be Edgeware Road but it's probably a trap so i'll go for Kilburn High Road.

Bwaaah, bwaaah, sobs....

Stonebridge Park, hah!

My friends went to a recording and were very disappointed with the lovely SamNtha.

Well, as it happens...

I'll look on Amazon then, thank you!

Earls Court, eh? I'll say Holborn.

Sneaky BM, you've obviously played before.. I'll try Earls Court, more out of hope than expectation !

The 'Late Arrivals' is always a funny round and my all-time fave has to be at the 'Medical Ball' with " Please welcome Mr & Mrs Roids ...and their daughter Emma"...

Véro, CDs are available on amazon & ebay etc though I usually get them brought over by friends & family from the UK.

Couldn't survive without my ISIHAC fix - saddo or what ?

Quite enjoy Jack Dee hosting tho' it can never be the same..

I do so agree with you Keith normally a face to face encounter usually brings out the best in people,when we moved here in 2010 the town Mazamet invited all the newly arrived of every nationality to a welcome night so many different languages Dutch German English and all ports in between since then from experience i have found the only people who encounter problems are those with their head so far up their own arse,(sorry ladies but it cant be said any other way) confident in the superiority of their own academic skills they walk into a room with an aura of arrogance and immediately everyone goes hostile with the thought, we have a right one here this is going to be fun . There is a young lady who works in McDs she speaks perfect English and makes a point of helping all the tourist who struggle, lovely girl and very pleasant but because she works at McDs all assume she is as thick as two short planks my next door neighbour in the UK was a Gynecologist the bedside manner of Attila the Hun and almost as ignorant

I was at one point in time in love with Samantha and jealous of Sven!

What is life without Humph?

One song to the tune of another is one of the funniest things ever devised. On the back of that I would never risk a CD in the car!

Now what was the matter in hand (Parson's Green anybody?)

You can hear them on BBC4 Extra and also S podcasts.

Monument.

I didn't know they had ISIHAC on cd! Can one get them through the BBC? I think my daughters are now of an age to appreciate them (& I also love one song to the tune of another).