Do you buy your own Christmas Present?

Hilary, before you download them have a short look on the preview screen as some are not great quality - although most are; Here are a few I recently downloaded (with except Chaplin - who was English anyway), and Buster Keaton, all of whose works are on archive.org these are all good one with English origins:

DownHill, Dr Strangelove, Hotel Sahara (Peter Ustinov), Horror Express (Hammer Films), London Belongs to me (Attenborough), Long John Silver (ooh-aargh, Postmark for Danger), Rembrandt (Charles Laughton),The Beachcomber (Charles Laughton), The Lady Vanishes (Margaret Lockwood, The North Star.

Others abound, I just haven't got round to downloading them - I note there are some 16 Hitchcock films listed. Two Women with Sophia Loren is a classic and so it goes on. Literally about a thousand to choos from.

The Music area is astonishing with all Gilbert & Sullivan, ALL Benny Goodman (201 tracks), Billie Holiday (193 tracks), Paul Whiteman (324 Tracks), Sidney Bechet (over 100), Every band of the 20's Collections of 200 tracks, Glenn Miller (100) Artie Shaw (326!) Wingy Malone (150) Chris Barber (91) all from Old Acker (God rest 'im), Art Tatum (168). Plenty of others like Bread, and notably every track from the Grateful Dead. Plus,plus, plus, plus.............

Plus Plays, and radio adventures etc. A really remarkable place to visit.

Can anyone explain to me this Torrent thing? I understand it is a fast downloading programme, but whenever I go to get the programme (free of course) all the warning bells and whistles go off with Avast. Is there an honest source for this thing or is it inherently dodgy?

Re Golf, brought my clubs back from Australia where I did two 9-hole rounds every week. One course was in Albert Park where the Formula 1 race goes round these days. My office was on a top floor in Queens Road which ran alongside the Course, and I could look out over it, the lake and the sea. Green fees were piddling and golf was a game for everyone there and excellent courses - public and private. Got back to Europe and saw many crap golf courses poorly maintained, and hugely over-priced. The golfclubs are still with me, but I haven't struck a ball in anger now for over 20 years!

Never got to single figures like you Brian but was a steady 16 off the stick, which was about average there.

Only hope is that a new 9-hole course is being constructed by the former Mayor's husband in the village, and I have been invited to go and have a hit and giggle any time I like. Think I will embarrass myself alone for a while and see if the old bones will survive. My pressie to me? At the right price of course - Free.

God what an old cheapskate I am?

I managed to sit through Smiley's People and Tinker Tailor without understanding any of either series !!!

I don't believe JlC understood the plots either !

where did what go wrong Ian ?

I found the full series of Sir Alec as Smiley on the erstwhile Pirate Bay, scored the lot, always a delight to watch the whole series. Where exactly did it all go wrong....?

I wish Ian.....

Can we not have a world where these things are forever? *sigh*

The Golden Age indeed...

The Ladykillers. Right above the exit from Kings Cross (Gasworks and Copenhagen Tunnels). That's also where George Smiley scuppers Philby...

We had Merton Park Studios just near us at school. We used to see the Edgar Wallace Mysteries 'stars' and a fair bit of their location work in the streets thereabouts. The biggie was when they made part of Dr No when a young Scots actor Sean Connery and a Swiss bombshell called Ursula Andress could be seen leaning against a posh car having a smoke. Lots of skiving about that time.

Golf? I nearly bought one a few years ago but I never had the right accent for being allowed to start knocking a little white ball around, nor the precision, plus the courses where I lived, like the four in SW19 and half adozen or more near Cambridge were really hoity-toity so wouldn't have got in anyway. :-(

Growing up, I was always a fan of the Saturday morning screening of old, classic, black & white movies on TV and was mortified when that was done away with. It was my introduction to the Ealing comedies and the likes of Sir Alec Guinness.....as well as classic westerns and Gone With the Wind..Busby Barclay, Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, etc., etc...

I've taken to visiting You tube (recent viewing has included 'Smashing time', 'The Girl with Green Eyes' as some early 1930's, pre Basil Rathbone 'Sherlock Holmes' - and I will definitely by using the achive.org link.

I'll have you know some of those Crazy Golfs are really testing ! The Windmill was always my Achilles Heel !

Blimey, you sound like a right little Ballesteros !

I could only manage 14 and that was with a bit of cheating !

Vic, there's a tidy little nine hole course on the side of a hill at Pontivy

I suppose it was you who played off the Ladies Tees ?

That one about Jethro in the chapel with the oul wan with the skirt in front lol

Could be The Singing Postie Vic though I have three of his CDs (saddo or what ?) and I can't find it on any of those. Not Jethro is it ?

Thanks for your reply Norman. Happy Christmas! :)

Rach, the online proof file I have shows full-colour but I suppose you will need the Kindle colour receiver not the mono one.or presumably you will only get mono. Makes sense really doesn't it?

Banned and blocked in France BUT Oldpirate Bay has been put up in its honour. Business as usual!