Do you need to provide financial evidence to french government

never mind ....I think that we have misunderstood each other....JUST a little.

If you have a UK driving licence you can hang on to that indefinetly because it is actually a European driving licence but turning it in for a French one is easy enough.

No Barbara - I didn't ask about getting help from the French system - I wouldn't expect to get help from the french system - indeed I am agreeing with it and I am saying it should be like that here in the UK... why should I move to france and get money from their government... All I was asking was clarification that we didn't need to prove we had the finances, pensions, etc. to support outselves for 3 yrs... as we will be working to earn money to support ourselves in France.

Yes Christine....You pointed out exactly what has been on my mind for a long time.

"that is what should happen in uk"
people entering UK from other countries should be able to support themselves....

then Uk will have the chance, perhaps to get thei balancing act together.

You asked about getting help from the French system....OR should I say you RE asked.

I would be delighted to be proven wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the permis de conduire - is that easy to get??

how long ago did you have to produce proof of earnings etc. Terry?

Thanks all - I did think what with the EU etc. etc. the hoops that one has to jump through should have got less - and by the sounds of what Andrew is saying - they are... Can i ask what exactly is the Carte de Sejour (as Val has asked above)... is it like our National Insurance number only on a card form??

but i am right in thinking that in 2012/3 to move and live in france you don't need proof of finance but you can't get any support from the french government - which is how it should be for other nationalities coming in the UK.... so i'm happy with that..

Is that right?

Cheers

C

Terry, I get asked as soon as I'm out of the aveyron and I write a cheque - I always use my permis de conduire rather than my UK passport. I remember the rigmorol to get my carte de séjour - can't be bothered to go through all that again! Christine, if you're an EU citizen you no longer have to jump through any of these hoops - it's your right ;-)

I'm quite amazed at that, Terry. I've only ever provided proof of ID when buying our house (fair dos) and opening my bank account (they requested proof of earnings but I've still not provided that - boo ya). And for Twerp, obviously when he started school which I would expect. And what's the Carte de Sejour - I thought they didn't have those any more or did I miss something?

I just renewed my Carte de Sejour. I know, we don't have to but it's very useful when every Tom, Dick and Harry as well as Ethel on the supermarket check-out seems to have the right to demand proof of ID. Anyway, to get to the point: the list of documents I had to produce included proof of earnings as well as proof of residence and medical cover. They may not have the right under EU law to demand this but it don't stop them doing it!

not for EU citizens it isn't - nothing at all required, it's your right ;-)

uhm never came across this.

But the French will not support us withany kind of help with living.
We need to pay Cotistation for 5 years in order to claim any help.

And, of course to get medical assistance without paying we need a Carte Vitale.

Carte Vital....of course is significant to being part of the tax/cotistation

society or in receipt of UK pension and support coming via UK.
First thing we did when we came here is to get an acountant and then

TRY to understand it all. With the help of one of my best friends ( French) AND

the accountant...I half undersdtand it.

Nothing freee here in France and not in UK either...well not for me anyway!!!!