Do you see your doctor?

I always take my kindle with me to any medical appointment.

1 Like

Exactly what I used to do, trouble is I always got interrupted by the doctor wanting to cure me. :rage: :joy:

2 Likes

Those annoying medical interventions

1 Like

That is exactly what happens here at our surgery (and in all the others as well), you have 5 min and only one thing at a time. The GP has his eyes glued on the screen of his computer like you are not even there🙄

Well it was the case 12 years ago but maybe it has changed now. For example, if you wanted to start a new sport, you had to go to the doctor for a check up to see if you were fit enough and get a certificate. No « certificat d’aptitude » signed by the doctor, no sport😜

Still required, but only every 3 years if the same assoc.

And the great thing in France with doctors is that in some practices, the doctor answers the phone. Well it was the case where I used to live in Marignane near Marseille before I moved to the UK. I did not have to struggle with the receptionist who asks you questions about your condition and then decides if you need to see a doctor or not😳

2 Likes

They have so much paperwork (much more than overworked French MT), our Uk doctor told me back in '18 he spends twice as much time on paperwork as he spends with a patient. Uk GP’s are nowadays more of a clearing house instead of a healer.

IMHO worst thing ever if you are the patient sitting in the consulting room and the phone rings and the doctor picks up the phone and you are left just sitting there for the next 10 minutes while the doctor is rabbiting on to Madame so-and-so about her condition that you really want to know nothing about.
Best thing ever when our first doctor (single practice) retired and we moved to a group practice.

Not so much anymore, many now subscribe to online booking systems like Doctolib or Keldoc.

In an emergency situation, I am thankful to say that (more than once) the telephonist has put me through to our Doc (even though he is with a patient)… and Doc handles everything swiftly… hurrah.
Thus I have no problem if he answers the phone and speaks with someone else, while I’m there at my appointed time…
it’s all swings and roundabouts…

2 Likes

Hi Nathalie,

Just on the UK, GP surgeries in the UK are privately owned businesses under contract to the NHS. Like any sector, you get good suppliers and bad ones.

In Bristol I have a fantastic surgery that will generally see me within a day or two for a problem. My partner meanwhile uses another one and it’s extreme difficult to get anywhere with them.

It’s a bit of a lottery, but might be worth asking around your area. There might be a better option.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately it seems that in my area (Bracknell), they are all the same according to my neighbours and friends who are in different surgeries​:roll_eyes: at least the hospitals we have around here are really great so it compensates. We can’t have it all, can we?:blush: