Don't move to France

I worked in Antwerp for a couple of years, nobody will admit to speaking French and those who speak French well (because they had to go to school in French) are very old now.
It is a pity not to be properly bilingual but in Antwerp as in Belgium as a whole social fissures occur along linguistic frontiers and sometimes people assert their politics by speaking/not speaking the other language.
I didn’t speak French in Antwerp, practically everything was in Flemish or English. People thought I was Belgian from Limburg because of the German tinge to my Flemish :grin:

1 Like

Absolutely not Peter.
Ypres is nearly always full, especially with all the commemorations of the 14-18 war.
We went to a special commemmoration of the centenary of the Battle of Loos and a wonderful exhibition in the Museum ‘In Flanders Field’.
A 'photo of 46 officers, including Jim’s grandfather was researched and family trees drawn up.
We all contributed 'photos and family pieces to the
exhibition.
There was a specially poignant piece from South Africa of a trunk with the contents of the two brothers who had lost their lives and had never been opened until the family learned of the wonderful project undertaken by Andrew Tatham.
There was a book called A Group Photograph which was reviewed and highly recommended by Jeremy Vine on his radio programme.
In fact, he said if you only buy one of my recommendations, it should be this one.
There were about 150 of us descendants, including the South African family.
We were the only family who would have had people fighting on the other side, as Catherine is married to an Austrian.
We had a huge group photograph taken in a local theatre.

1 Like

We have Belgian friends who live in Ypres, they assure me it is Flemish, not french

1 Like

Ieper :wink:

1 Like

Wipers.

I had a colleague, a good friend, who was Dutch. There was another Dutch girl on the staff. I once asked my friend why when she talked with the other girl they always spoke in English. Her quick reply was, Abbie comes from Limburg she doesn’t speak Dutch!

1 Like

I did a month-long motorhome tour of Belgium about 15 years ago, with a little detour into the Netherlands. Having previously lived in Northern France very close to the border, I used to go over into Belgium a lot for shopping, nights out and things, and had good memories of it, in fact I did vaguely think it might be fun to move there.
I read up about it before I went and tried to get my head around the political situation, but after being there and talking to people I actually came back more baffled than I went, the situation seemed very complicated and the feelings about it seemed too nuanced for a foreigner to hope to understand. One thing I quickly learned was to avoid saying in the Flemish speaking areas “sorry I don’t speak Flemish but could we talk in either French or English?” - they invariably chose English and looked quite affronted at the suggestion they might want to speak French, so best just ask if they spoke English.
I had a great time and I love the Belgians and their wacky ways, I felt at ease with them but it didn’t feel like a country I would ever understand or call home. I found it harder to connect with the Dutch, they’re very nice but they seemed more alien in many ways. Or maybe it was just me, because I always feel alien in a country where I can’t really cope with the language.
All this was 15 years ago so things have probably changed now.

1 Like

Even the French find it hard living here and 2,000,000 have moved to the U.K!

Two million! They must be flooding in as that’s over six times the official estimate from a year ago. Mrs May had better get those papers signed and the barriers up quickly?

I wonder how many of those people have moved to the UK because they found it hard living in France. Perhaps they just wanted a change like I did when I moved to Germany to live or onto France. It would have been so much easier staying but I just fancied a change.

1 Like

Depends on the source if we get reliable figures. Maybe it is 2,000,000 Europens moved to U.K. Some French I know personally, quite young, found it easier to start their own business an dot be swamped by taxes. I got her by a huge coinciende. Started aLaw degree after my husband died and got a mature students loan. The first intake the Uni had and it was hard going for both students and teachers. I needed an escape at weekends never thinking it to be a permanent move. Ended up with this being all I have after helping children establish themselves. Not being in a town and out the sticks and not practicing my French makes it hard. Do not think it good enough to pass the test for permanent residence which is what is being advised.

Fay… depending on age… language skills need not be a worry… I think it is over 65 ?? or it may be 60… someone wil chime in with the correct age… :thinking:.

Which country are you talking about? There is no language test in France for residence.

Perhaps Fay is thinking about citizenship which does require proficiency in French for the under 65’s

The artisan, who was born English, lived in France for yonks and married one. Maybe he thinks I was thinking of Citizenship which I would not want. Anyway I have lived her 20+ years already. Allthis Brexit hype is also very confusing. Just read that the Brits are buying up porperty in France before Breixt make sit!

Maxime, I am english and wouldnt move back to live there mainly because of this mentality. I feel sometimes ashamed when i hear comments about countries i have lived in from Brits that cant even spell correctly, dont speak any foreign languages and are not even prepared to do so. Dont worry they are the imbeciles of today. Disregards their comments. Let them live in their overpriced 2 up and 2 down sheds. I prefer a more civilised neighbourhood and unblemished countryside.

3 Likes

When you apply for a “carte de résident permanent”, you have to indicate why you think you are sufficiently proficient in French and supply evidence thereof (DILF or equivalent).

Except that the notes suggest that yu don’t have to apply for a “carte de résident permanent”, just renew the CdS

My second EU resident card expired in 2008…and it does mention “sous certaines conditions”. Personally, I’m not too bothered, as I have a French professional qualification in order to practice law here which required sitting an exam in French, but I have nonetheless pointed this out in my application.

I’ve also been thinking about the consequences of Brexit on individual entrepreneurs - I recently received a circular from the Ministre du Commerce, indicating a link to follow for advice on the impact of Brexit. The fact of the matter is that the links a surprisingly scarce in useful information - if there is a withdrawal agreement, then all is fine until Dec 2020, and after that date, it is any one’s guess. If there is no withdrawal agreement, then the French government will pass emergency legislation, but unfortunately no indication of what that legislation might be is given.

I’ve found a very effective way of honing my french number skills is by counting in French whilst doing my morning exercises (reps), but instead of starting at one, I begin at sixty because the higher numbers are the complicated ones. Fifty sit-ups each morning is great for the stomach, but even better for being able to instantly respond to producteurs on the markets by giving them the right money. ( “C’est parfait!”). To add to the fun I’ve now started doing this in Occitan as well because many people on our local markets still count one’s change in la langue d’oc.

Anyhow, there must be lots of other routine situations where this learning technique can be used, even if it’s only trying to get to sleep by counting shep (or, if you prefer, ‘sheep’ :slight_smile: )

2 Likes