Drink driving penalties

This has been challenged before in court - exactly what is defined as uniform

If you’re not breaking the law then there should be no issue about being stopped. I’d rather the police be over-zealous and catch law-breakers (especially drink/drug drivers and those driving carelessly/dangerously) and to do so as visually as possible. Drivers should be reminded that breaking the law has consequences.
Izzy x

3 Likes

Well, unless you’re the victim of racial profiling, I suppose.

2 Likes

Whataboutery!

1 Like

To encourage rubberneckers presumably. Not dangerous at all, obviously. There is a time and place to remind drivers that breaking the law has consequences, and while in charge of a lethal missile is not one of them.

Then we have to agree to disagree.
Izzy x

1 Like

Personally, I like to see a “police presence” on the roads
 and walking around town come to that
 a Bobby on the Beat

3 Likes

I agree with Izzy I think drivers need reminding that they are liable to be stopped at any time

1 Like

So do I, but there is a difference between noticing them and turning a head to see and take in what is going on. By the same token I don’t fiddle with the radio or turn to talk to passengers when I am driving.

However, bearing in mind now how many disagree with me I will have to train myself not to look at them in future for fear of hitting or being hit by the distracted drivers in front and behind. :wink: :grinning:

1 Like

Recently, the Police/gendarmes/whatever have been stressing that folk should NOT gawp, slowdown deliberately, take pictures
 whatever
 in fact some drivers have been cautioned and/or fined for doing just that sort of stupid thing.

1 Like

@ Spardo Can you give figures of the accidents that have occurred in the vicinity of breathalyser sites ?
I don’t mean rubber necking at accidents , but specifically resulting from breathalyser initiatives

Of course not, and I can’t give you the figures for the accidents that have not occurred because people resisted the urge to ogle, and, I suspect, neither can you or anybody else. :neutral_face:

1 Like

No I can’t but I am sure they are significantly less than those caused by under the influence drivers

1 Like

not wishing to extend the argument
 but it seems that every day there is yet another death on the roads, reported in the French Press
 and more often than not
 excess speed and/or excessive alcohol are given as the “suspected” cause

very, very sad.

2 Likes

Nine people injured in this incident

I can’t like that Stella but it demonstrates what I’ve been saying

This is just the tip of the iceberg
 everyday
 drunken drivers
 and deaths/casualties
 so very, very sad.
I won’t post any more of them
 risks being too depressing.

1 Like

But it doesn’t Lizzie, it demonstrates that there are a lot of drunken drivers about. It says nothing about humiliating possibly innocent drivers at the roadside while distracting other road users from what they are supposed to be doing.

Most drivers would not be humiliated by a routine breathalyser stop if they had nothing to worry about. The distraction element is irrelevant, there’s all sorts go on on a road,decent drivers should filter it out
Surely saying there’s a lot of drink drivers about is supporting the argument for more stop checking

3 Likes