Driving licence(again)

Apologies if this has been covered before.Has anyone had to update their UK driving licence in order to have a valid licence while waiting for ANTS to deal with their French licence application?I have applied for French licence,waited as advised until less than 6 months before it ran out,apart from initial email to confirm application,i have not heard a thing,despite having categories that are essential for work.There is just over 2 months to go now and i have no confidence that ANTS will have done anything by then.Just wondered if anyone has had to do this,i know it is not what they want you to do,but it looks like i will have no choice.

I know this has been thrashed about, time and time again… but for the life of me I can’t see anything but the wording below… will look again later.

there is a helpline (I think) to chase things and @Mat_Davies might be able to give you some comfort… as he was having a problem with his DL I think…

Please try not to worry (easier said than done, I know… but…)

here’s another useful link

If you don’t use Facebook contact Kim by private message on this forum (she is a member) and ask for her help. She has routes of communication that can help. But not until Monday as she needs her weekends!

But whatever you do don’t get a new UK licence! As well as it being illegal in UK you are also telling France that you are not a resident. So your application to change you licence becomes invalid.

1 Like

My application is nearing completion - I have just had to post off my UK licence which is the final step.

It has been about 6.5 months since my original application.

I have been told that once the photo card expires you are still OK to continue driving so long as it does not go beyond the expiry of your licence (your 70th birthday).

1 Like

An expired photo-card is just a fineable offence, 135€, but still legal to drive.

At some point in the process of exchange you should get an attestation, which entitles you to drive for (I recall) 4 months while you wait for the actual plastic card to arrive.

You get this when you are asked to send in your UK photo card.

1 Like

Unfortunately my situation is far more concerning than an expired photocard,it is my categories C and D that expire in just over 2 months,which means not being able to work,this is the problem, it,s people,s lives and livelihoods that we are talking about.I don,t intend to find out,but i assume the fine for driving an LGV without a valid licence will be a great deal more than 135€.

As you have a pseudo name I have no idea if you are a member of my FaceBook Group, Applying for a French Driving Licence, if you are then go to my Guides and read Guide 1, UK* Expired licence and send me a pm with the information I ask for there near the end. If you’re not a member I recommend you join, group open on Monday at 14.00.

I also work with CERT and can escalate your application as your licence is required for work, this should give you a fighting chance of getting your French licence before it expires.

3 Likes

well we have got about 10 days before the D day and then we can not drive, we applied with a hand holder 6 months ago and we have not yet been asked for the surrender of the British card.
Apart from being tied to the house metaphorically speaking we have family arriving and medical appointments.
We originally tried to apply 2 years ago with the hep of a French friend,
What to do.

Are you sure what your handholder did? I am very suspicious of them (apologies to the good ones!) as there have been several reports of them making a mess of things.

What have they provided you with to show that the application has been submitted and received?

Otherwise I suggest you look at Kim’s post above yours and follow her suggestions.

And if all else fails to get a result in time then hire a sans permis for a few months.

Hi Kim,thanks for your reply,i am not on Facebook,will look in to that.I have no confidence that ANTS will deal with and issue my licence within the next 2 months,so far they have shown no urgency at all,if they are as slow as the DVLA we have no chance.

Thank you Jane …yes I have been reading the details on Kims sight.
Are you ever sure that the person who is helping you is doing every thing correctly,
There are limitations relating to these cars you mentioned and I have been told that they are dangerous, and far from roomy.

They are tiny, have max speed of 55km/hr and struggle to go up any sort of hill. Also ugly and noisy. But unless you have a friendly local taxi driver prepared to give you a special deal, or lovely friends who will take you places there’s not much else you can do once your licence expires.

If I were to use a handholder I would ask for eg screenshots or print outs to show the confirmation of the application submission, and acknowledgment by ANTS if these were not automatically sent to your email address. Presumably you can also check your ANTS account to confirm it is still ‘en cours’?

Hi Kim

I have tried to join your Facebook group regarding French driving licences but have not had any repy via being accepted. My photo driving licence expired 15/10/21 but I submitted an application to ANTS in August last year to transfer it over. I am stil waiting! I checked on ANTS yestereday and the application has been passed onto the Conducteur Instructeur I believe.
I am planning on going back to England for a week in May (big birthday this year!) and I don’t know if I will be able to hire a car as I doubt my French licence will be through by then.

Jenny

Good grief… I do hope it comes through by May.

In order to relieve the stress while waiting, perhaps better to plan for the worst…
pre-arrange lifts with friends/family and allow taxi-fares in your budget. Then if the licence does come through in time, it will be a bonus…

Some hire companies will be ok with expired photos - especially those at airports and ports who are used to this issue. So contact companies now to see if you can find one that will.

(Kim archives her site over weekends, so may be why you haven{t 5 heard.)