Dumping MS-Office / Microsoft 365 and replacing with what?

I’ve paid for registered versions of MasterPDF (Linux/Mac) editor, which allow for insertion, and validation of digital signatures.

Is this open source? Can I do it from Linux?

yeah - 'm very broke with a young family so happy to use open source and free at the moment!

PDF escape is a web site, so no problem via Linux.

I seem to recall that this is free to use for basic PDF editing, but the digital signature feature might be only in the paid version. Also not open source :frowning_face_with_open_mouth:

https://code-industry.net/masterpdfeditor/

LibreOffice allows you to edit PDFs in Draw and add handwritten signatures, but you can also digitally sign files with an appropriate digital signature (not sure whether that exports to PDF though).

1 Like

Ahhh OK thank you. I’ll leave that then, would rather have a program on my laptop rather than putting my contracts online!

Didn’t know that, I’ll have a play when the next one comes through, thanks.

There’s even a video :

I have been using Libre Office for several years, you can save back into Microsoft if necessary.

Open Office, used it for years. Not quite so user friendly but on the whole a good FREE substitute.

$99 per annum is only 27 cents per day. Probably best to stay with what you’ve got for reasons of compatability, support, plug&play, etc. I’ve never used any of the free products mentioned here but I would ask why they’re ‘free’.

I’m still using a version of Office that I bought ten or more years ago in a PC World sale for about £30 - I only regularly use Word, albeit professionally and occasionally still PP but it’s fine. I’m also using an old Adobe Suite that I own as opposed to lease, I 've been using Photoshop since the early '90s and my current twelve year old version which includes Illustrator, InDesign and Adobe Bridge (for Nikon) is fine for my all my graphic and publishing needs. I’m also running a similarly elderly version of Adobe Acrobat v.8 Pro which continues to enable me to do all sorts of things with PDFs.

I’m currently buying a car in Germany and the importers sent me the immatriculation docs in PDF format, I converted them into jpgs, completed the forms in Photoshop, then saved them as tiny Photoshop PDFs, recombined them into a single PDF file and returned it by email - everything used ten plus year old software.

1 Like