EDF cold callers are too racist

I've lied and said we have PV already but not sell back, they offered to do an evaluation to have us connected to sell back! Doh....

me too!

LOL; I needed a good laugh. Thank you :)

I have been at home ill this week & have had zillions of these ghastly calls (invariably when I have just fallen asleep) anyway there are, they tell me, about 18 of these companies "associated with EDF" (ie who have paid to get EDF customers' names) & they employ people in call-centres in Morocco & Tunisia & poss India to do the calling.

The hanging up if you aren't the owner is because a tenant is unlikely to fork out 000s for photovoltaic etc improvements. I found this out by asking them why they found it necessary to ring 15 times a day when I'd said I wasn't interested.

The really easy way to get rid of them(other than hanging up or passing the telephone to a small child (preferably armed with a musical instrument) is saying you live in the curtilage of a historic monument.

The best rubbish call I got was yesterday from the 'secretary' of a soothsayer saying O lucky you you've been selected for a free consultation. I asked if the said soothsayer had chosen me herself & was told oh yes it' s all personal. So I enjoyed saying it was weird wasn't it that she shouldn't have foreseen I'd say what a pile of bollocks.

Thanks Carolyn - looking into that right now.

Having read on another forum about this kind of intrusion , many had recommended registering your private numbers with http://www.pacitel.fr/inscription.php and I have to say after doing so we have much reduced the sales calls , it seems to take a month or so to really take effect but for me was definately worth doing and its quick and easy

1 Like

Totally empathise, Jo. I don't know whether whoever phones on "Withheld" or "Call" is EDF or someone else - I rarely get the opportunity to find out as usually they simply hang up - but it's infuriating. I might be in the middle of digging or log splitting and have to drop everything to race to the phone at break neck speed before Orange swipe it only to hear the phone being slammed down. If they don't want to talk, why call in the first place or are they paid simply to dial the number?

We get the same. They ask me if I am Mr I but I say that I am not, I am Dr M, but I am married to a Dr I. As you know, doctor titles are not used generally but it is always assumed that whoever has one is medical, therefore too clever to have an EDF troll on the line. My OH, in whose name the house is (she being a couple of decades younger than me, so logical...), says she is Dr I and owns the house, thus is proprietor when she answers. That stumps them because they are told they have to have Mr I. So the game is not only inverted to our advantage but we have started to get pleasure in 'hearing' the writhe before the phone goes down.

We wrote to the CEO of EDF about the cold calls, registered and all the rest of it. We got a phone call from one of his clever young things who went through the wringer too but I was able to hand the phone over instead of the instant click and dead. We got an explanation that EDF has no control over this because the companies who make the calls are contracted to do so. Can we get the name of the company to complain to their CEO, well then there was another level of excuse about it being several companies and EDF would not know which one was calling us so could not give us the number. So we have given up and simply have our little game.

I actually quite seriously despise EDF. I have had many battles with utilities in the past but this lot take the pip.