Electric

They are not frequent visitors on here, so they probably won't say themselves, but some SFN members just across the river with two gîtes had a microwave explode (large can of confit de canard still sealed!) and a small fire caused as a result that damaged the dishwasher it was on. The pompiers' report went down like a lead balloon with the insurance company who refused to pay out. They had mainly UK appliances with three pin plugs on extensions. They were told no pay out and change the lot at both gîtes and their house. I rapidly changed what we still had when I heard.

What do you mean by English electrics, just UK sockets, UK twin and earth cable, ring main circuits, UK fuse board with single pole breakers?

Exactly.

Also a problem even if you live in it yourself as if there is an electrical fault leading to a machine dying & needing to be replaced etc let alone a fire, then your insurance will be able to quibble like mad & say it serves you right & tough luck (a good excuse not to pay up, in other words)

Thanks Brian, I thought that might be the case

No, it is NOT insured because the installation does not conform with French standards.