Electrician packed in his business

Good advice. However Chambre des Metiers are powerless to help you unfortunately. Best they might do is arrange a liaison meeting.

They don't have to be French to understand the regs. My husband has had to go in after English and French electricians and rectify their messes. He also has an excellent reputation with the CONSUEL; so much so that when he applies for a certificate that they only check the odd one. It depends on the professionalism of any artisan and whether they have actually studied the Normes and requirements.

Thanks for that Jayne. I suspected that was the case but reluctant to ask here. Just as well in actual fact because I'm doing my own rewire....;o))

If there is an existing meter there is no need to have the CONSUEL inspection. This means that a client can have a minimum amount if so required.

If there was no existing compteur then yes. If the electrician is working for the commune one would assume he knows he stuff otherwise he surely would not have got the job.

Its a shame he was not prepared to finish the job.

NF C15-100 is the French standard about distribution and connection of earthing the number of electrical outlets per fuse etc all up to inspection and approval by EDF. This standard I uploaded here (in French)

Good advice !!

Also good advice. But at no time should you pay any money until the issue is resolved !. It could be that it is the electrician that owes you money !!!

Good advice !!

As Andrew Henderson advises, best find out if he went bust or closed the business without administrators, as No.1 priority.

If he went bust, you'll be dealing with the administrators, which should work well if you can put a claim together that shows he owes you, rather than you owe him.

Also, if he has gone bust, you should be dealing with the administrators directly.

Depends what was on the devis. But as far as I am aware any tradesman working in France has to be covered by an assurance backed guarantee. Also Electrical work should be covered for two years from completion.
Good luck

You must have a proper certificate of completion signed by a qualified electrician that the WHOLE installation complies. If the original guy doesn't/cant do it then you will have to pay somebody else at what will be a premium price. You may not even be able to get a fixed price quotation to finish the job off. Providing you kept to your side of the bargain regarding strage payments etc then I would personally want to ensure that he finished the job off. As an architect in the UK we frequently had this sort of problem, not just with electricians. I remember one job where the electrician demanded payment and it turned out that he hadn't connected sockets to the ring mains! We frequently had problems with non compliance with gas work as well. You may be sure, unfortnately, that the whole business will be arduous. Good advice is given below in that you must record everything. With technical installations you need to have complete confidence in waht has been done. It's like buying a car- you don't buy bits - you want something that is going to work as a whole. Personally I would make a list of what is remaining and then write a letter to him insisting that he competes everything and issues a certificate of compliance.

As advised, it comes down to his original Devis.

You have the high ground, as he decided to wind up his business, then ask you for money, which is not how things are done.

However you decide to progress this, Chamber de Metiers etc. you need to do a few things first:

1. Get his original Devis and scrutinise it. Ideally, there's a staged payment plan against work done. The Devis also has to be in French.

2. Make a list of all the work he's done to date, including materials, then take photos.

3. Compare what you've paid him against what he's done.

4. Decide if you owe him money or he owes you money.

5. Confirm all of above to him and try to come to an agreement.

Any further actions will be dependent upon obtaining the above information and proof that you've made reasonable efforts to come to a settlement figure.

Also, if you go to court and win, it just means you're right. So, just try to resolve it directly with him. If he then wants to persue you, he's got to do the hard work (and spend the time and money) from a poor position and you've made the effort to come to a reasonable agreement.

Don't do any further work on the installation until you've proven the current status. It's probably worth getting a written Devis from AN Other to confirm what's left to be done. If you can highlight any deficiencies in the work that's already been done, even better.

Bon chance.

It is not normal that you have a prompt settlement. If it is rewiring due to replacement of old outdated wiring and new box it also has to comply to EDF standard. You may be better of to talk to a French electrician who speaks perfect English but understands at the same time the standards here. I'm not advertising here, just recommending Jean Marc because I was in a similar situation worried about computers and other sensitive devices on that old wires. Depending where you are he can give you at least the right advice. http://www.sarl-syge.com/index.html

Yes, good idea. Thankyou. Not sure where I posted my other thankyou.

Hi Kaz.

Go to your local Chambre de Commerce. There will be someone there who will know what to do and who to see in case of a dispute.

Good luck

David

That sounds an awkward situation.

I think a lot will depend on his original devis. If he quoted to do the whole job, then hold him to it. Insist he completes the contract. It wouldn't be very easy to get someone else to come in and complete the works. People don't like getting involved in part jobs an you would probably end up paying a premium for someone to do so.

No doubt there are others who have had direct experience of this....good luck!